Replacing EMG 57/66 with Fishman Keith Merrows

• Thread starter newamerikangospel
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

newamerikangospel

Tonight.......you
Reaction score
I have a Schecter Hybrid C8 that I enjoy the emg 57/66s in, but absolutely love the Seymour Duncan Nazgul in another schecter (7 string) with similar specs as the C8. The Fishman seems to fill in some gaps of what I would change in the nazgul, as well as the different voicing options, specifically the single coil, is very enticing; with the PAF seeming to cover the existing 57/66 tones. Does anyone have anything to encourage or dissuade me regarding changing these?

fcv

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've got a set that came in my KM-7 MKIII artist, and the single coil mode is worthless, the noise floor is way too high. I would've thought that it'd be modeled after single coil sounds, not actual single coil, but when set to either of the other 2 modes it's dead quiet, then flicking the switch to single coil results in significant volume hissing. Don't even know if single coil mode sounds good, just had to hard nope from the noise.

Stuck_in_a_dream

Reaction score
I have the KM Fluence 6-string version installed in a Warmoth guitar and it sounds fantastic. The single coil is noisier for sure, but not by much in my case. I like it slightly more than Tosin's single coil voicing as it is less bright. I suck at describing pickup tones, but the bridge voice 2 is very PAF-like, I can see how KM referred to it as VH brown tone, awesome for leads. Voice 1 is much more modern, slightly less & tighter bass than voice 2, great for riffing and tight phrasing. As a plus, voice 1 can coax some really amazing fusion leads, love it.

@fcv: Do you have the cavity shielded with copper? It does help quite a bit.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SYLrules88

I play drums!
Reaction score
I don't know if it's just my ears, but I can't seem to dial in a heavy tone I like with the 57/66 set in my C8. Cleans are incredible but the dirt just lacks clarity and bite and such. Considering replacing mine with a set of lundgrens actually.

Flappydoodle

Reaction score
I’ve only used the 6 and 7 string variants of the EMG57. But it’s a very smooth and ‘round my type of sound. Not what you want for an 8 string.