Responded to an ad on FB...

• Thread starter bostjan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jacksonluvr636

Reaction score
Nothing as crazy as that, but there was a Craigslist posting in Indy for a while.

"World class, professional drummer, ready for live gigs and studio work blah blah blah ....currently have no drum set."

People kill me.
I actually know a guy that did that for a bit, posting those ads all over. Was a true bum but the kicker is he was actually one of the most amazing and skilled drummers you would ever meet. Such a waste. Wonder if it is the same guy.

OP ad is hilarious though. Speechless.

Pingu

NOOT NOOT
Reaction score
Sounds like he's an influencer.

Hahaha. Came here to say this. Everything nowadays is more about hype than anything else. All you need is one viral video or one big GoFundMe and you're set for life (supposedly).

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Nothing as crazy as that, but there was a Craigslist posting in Indy for a while.

"World class, professional drummer, ready for live gigs and studio work blah blah blah ....currently have no drum set."

People kill me.

Years ago, I had a dude answer one of my ads who was a drummer, but he said he didn't own any cymbals, because he couldn't afford them, but he was eager to start gigging, so he could get cash to buy them. I knew it'd be a trainwreck, but was also curious as to how he'd be able to play at all if he didn't even have an entire kit to practice on. I invited him over to use my drums and he eventually got cold feet and cancelled the day of.

And, on the opposite end of the spectrum, I saw a drummer at open mic who played quite well, but refused to commit to a band because he had sold his kit.

I think there must be a thread here somewhere about all of the insane musician ads and auditions. I know most of us here could each write a book.

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
I had a similar thing to this in my old band. The drummer was NOT technically minded in any way whatsoever. Didn't know how to put his kit together, didn't know how to adjust things (cymbal stands etc) leading to me and the bass player setting up his kit at gigs while he wandered round with a beer. He had no interest in buying more cymbals, better pedals etc.
BUT
He was actually a decent drummer. Added a lot to songwriting processes. We would pool our money to buy him a china and a splash (as it was the myself other members that wanted thsoe cymbals in our songs). He had an interesting way of playing. He wasn't a metalhead but liked some metal. Added an interesting vibe to our metal band. Wasn't your typical double kick and crash kinda guy.
He went on to drum professionally for a signed band, touring worldwide (who are now still relatively popular in their niche corner of the metal scene), then one day just gave up and never did anything musically again for years. Sold all his gear. About ten years after this he surfaced doing some lo-fi post-rock synth project playing the practice room's kit.

To bring up the project on the other page about people wanting things for free, am I the only person that if i discover something I like, especially from an unknown/relatively new artist/craftsperson, I actually want to PAY for it, as a way of supporting them and making sure they'll still be making the craft I like when I come to buy another one.

Werecow

Reaction score
This kinda shit is actually quite common for photographers trying to start out professionally. People & companies try to get you to work for free "for the exposure". Some photographers actually do it occasionally i guess, so it's become a really common thing to happen. It only takes a little while to realise that constant "for the exposure" jobs don't buy you food and shelter.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
This kinda shit is actually quite common for photographers trying to start out professionally. People & companies try to get you to work for free "for the exposure". Some photographers actually do it occasionally i guess, so it's become a really common thing to happen. It only takes a little while to realise that constant "for the exposure" jobs don't buy you food and shelter.

I think anyone working "for the exposure" is being blatantly scammed out of money, but in this guy's case, he was upfront about not crediting anyone by name, so that excuse doesn't even work.

I've done planty of music gigs in which we agreed on a certain amount of money changing hands for a certain set of metrics; the metrics were met, sometimes vastly exceeded, and the client refused to pay after the fact, or reneg'd the amount. Those are most frustrating for me. The biggest case, years and years ago: I spent 10-12 months writing and recording a movie soundtrack, making hundreds of revisions, involved other musicians when the guy demanded instruments I couldn't play. Then, the guy told me none of my stuff was good enough and he wasn't going to pay me a dime. I was like, oh no, man, I paid hundreds of dollars to have real instruments play the pieces you said you liked... then I saw the film on the shelves at Blockbuster, and I watched it, and my music was in it! I saw red. Called the guy, and he hung up on me then wouldn't answer callbacks.

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
I think anyone working "for the exposure" is being blatantly scammed out of money, but in this guy's case, he was upfront about not crediting anyone by name, so that excuse doesn't even work.

I've done planty of music gigs in which we agreed on a certain amount of money changing hands for a certain set of metrics; the metrics were met, sometimes vastly exceeded, and the client refused to pay after the fact, or reneg'd the amount. Those are most frustrating for me. The biggest case, years and years ago: I spent 10-12 months writing and recording a movie soundtrack, making hundreds of revisions, involved other musicians when the guy demanded instruments I couldn't play. Then, the guy told me none of my stuff was good enough and he wasn't going to pay me a dime. I was like, oh no, man, I paid hundreds of dollars to have real instruments play the pieces you said you liked... then I saw the film on the shelves at Blockbuster, and I watched it, and my music was in it! I saw red. Called the guy, and he hung up on me then wouldn't answer callbacks.
What a fuckin dick.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Been close to 20 years, and I'm still salty about it.

But at least the guy refered to in the OP is openly honest about the fact that he wants the world for nothing in return. :lol:

I'm thinking about making a youtube series about some of the lighter-side of interactions with crazy people during my career as a musician. The interaction in this thread could be a decent one. Would it be offensive, though, to re-enact stuff like this (obviously I'd leave out names and personal details)?

Charlie Foxtrot 3rd

Oakie Doaky
Reaction score
Do it man it would be funny as fuck

But at least the guy refered to in the OP is openly honest about the fact that he wants the world for nothing in return. :lol:

I'm thinking about making a youtube series about some of the lighter-side of interactions with crazy people during my career as a musician. The interaction in this thread could be a decent one. Would it be offensive, though, to re-enact stuff like this (obviously I'd leave out names and personal details)?

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score

Do it drunk, or at least sometimes drunk.

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score

By the way, isn't Edgewood Studios up in your area?

Latest posts