Retolex amp and cab project

• Thread starter beerandbeards
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

beerandbeards

All things must pass
Reaction score
Started a new project. I’m going to retolex my Mesa Mark V25 and my Mesa 1x12 thiele cab. Purchased seafoam green bronco and beige can grill cloth.

today I disassembled the amp and cab. Not too hard but now the hard part... removing the existing tolex. I’m using a heat gun to soften the glue and peeling it off. I started removing the tolex but tomorrow’s another day.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
Looking good! How was it getting the remaining adhesive off? I tried to take the rat fur off of my X100b cabinet, I was going to sand and finish it but there was a ton of nasty adhesive leftover. I put 6 coats of chalkboard spraypaint on it and called it a day.

beerandbeards

All things must pass
Reaction score
Looking good! How was it getting the remaining adhesive off? I tried to take the rat fur off of my X100b cabinet, I was going to sand and finish it but there was a ton of nasty adhesive leftover. I put 6 coats of chalkboard spraypaint on it and called it a day.
I used my orbital sander with 80 grit. I was able to remove everything pretty easily without taking wood away. I couldn’t imagine trying to hand sand it.

there didn’t seem like a ton of adhesive after I removed the tolex. Just like a thin layer