Retrofitting a Hannes 6 bridge?

Cogito

Reaction score
I'm putting together a list for a tele build. I got lucky and found a 2022 Ultra neck on each for cheap and am now looking at getting the body build.

For fun, here's my Photoshop of what I'm shooting for
tele.png

The Schaller Hannes 6 is so attractive and looks to be the perfect profile bridge. The only problem is that I can't find much useful information on installing this, outside of how to route a body from scratch. I lack the experience and tools for this anyway.

I found one shop that can pre-route for the bridge, but they don't offer the contouring that I want, so it seems every direction has a compromise. I found another shop that can do the contours, but they can't route for Firebird mini-humbuckers. Another that can do both, but doesn't offer any finishing options.

Does anyone know how janky/possible it would be to retrofit a Hannes 6 to a standard string-thru tele body? I know the bridge is staggered, but I want to make sure it's not possible before moving on with ideas.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's a slab of wood, anything is possible. Just seems like finding a shop that's willing to install it, since it's not a common piece of hardware, might be difficult.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd do it myself. You should be able to accomplish this with a drill press or even a hand drill and a drill guide if you have a decent enough workbench area.

I'd recommend doing a faux installation on a piece of scrap wood first so you can learn from any mistakes. Then, if you are comfortable with how it went, do the real thing. If not, try on a second piece of scrap.

If you don't have any of those tools, I guess you'll just have to hire multiple luthiers to do different steps.

Cogito

Reaction score
I ended up finding a guy on Ebay that does raw Ultra clones. He only asked for ~200 for an alder Ultra body with bridge and mini HB routes. Looks like finishing is the new rabbit hole I'm heading down...🙃

gclef

Reaction score
Get the shop that'll do the body minus the firebird cutouts. Then send it to the guy to cut those and finish it.

It'll cost you more in the end, but you'll get exactly what you want.

It's only one step away from receiving an unfinished body and sending it out for paint.