Reverb Pedal Problem - Joyo R-14 Atmosphere

Annonnymous

Reaction score
Hello! I just bought a Joyo Atmosphere pedal and when I turn it off it has that awful tractor noise or whatever it is and I can't figure out if the design is bad or the pedal is broken. I'm going to return it, of course, but I'd like to know what really happens with it. The wetter it is, the worst that noise is, but it does the sound even if it isn't fully wet.
Here is a recording of it - the vibrating noise is from my phone being on the amp but you can hear the tractor sound pretty distinctly.
What can it be?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/m2ut3ujsxplp2xu/2020_08_03_15_08_12.mp3?dl=0

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Spinedriver

Reaction score
At first, I was half thinking that maybe the signal going in was too hot but the 'crackle' is only coming in when the reverb effect kicks in. Since that's the case, I'd just say that it's broken.

Annonnymous

Reaction score
At first, I was half thinking that maybe the signal going in was too hot but the 'crackle' is only coming in when the reverb effect kicks in. Since that's the case, I'd just say that it's broken.
Let's hope it is broken, cause if it is a design flaw I'd be pretty bummed out. I like the shimmer on this thing and it isn't just a one trick pony effect as well. For the price you really don't have much alternatives.
But what's interesting is that it doesn't make that sound when the "trail" (tail) switch is off. So it has something to do with the bypass I guess.

Last edited:

Annonnymous

Reaction score
Today I got my replacement... and it does the same thing.
Could it be a design flaw, or am I just uneducated and stupid and don't know how a tail works? It sounds weird...

Spinedriver

Reaction score
It could be that it's just a bad sounding pedal. Perhaps it could be worth it to just spend a little extra and get a TC HOH or Boss RV-6 instead. I have an original Hall Of Fame and it works (and sounds) absolutely fine.

Sometimes, those 'budget' pedals just aren't very good. If it's an od/distortion, it's usually a pretty simple circuit, so even inexpensive ones can sound pretty good. When you get into 'digital' effects like reverb & delay, then the cheaper ones tend to not sound so good.

Annonnymous

Reaction score
It could be that it's just a bad sounding pedal. Perhaps it could be worth it to just spend a little extra and get a TC HOH or Boss RV-6 instead. I have an original Hall Of Fame and it works (and sounds) absolutely fine.

Sometimes, those 'budget' pedals just aren't very good. If it's an od/distortion, it's usually a pretty simple circuit, so even inexpensive ones can sound pretty good. When you get into 'digital' effects like reverb & delay, then the cheaper ones tend to not sound so good.

The thing is I really disliked the TC Fluorescence and if HOF has the same shimmer I will be really displeased. The shimmer on the RV-6 is awful as well and that's the main reason I bought this pedal (I know, I know).
Now, I like the EHX Oceans 11 but I'm really skint atm and I cannot afford one. That's why I went with the Joyo and tbh I like how it sounds, I don't like how it behaves certain times. :/