Review: Groove Tools GTG-7T By Conklin

• Thread starter Metal Ken
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Seeing as i just posted pics in the 7 string forum, i figured i'd post a review here, considering i've had it for a bit over a month.. probably almost 2 months now.

I copied Zimbloth's review layout to make this shit easier to read, cause if i did it in a freestanding paragraph, i'd ramble on from one point to the next and it wouldn't make sense at all:

Features:

Here's where this guitar really shines. First off, it comes stock with locking tuners and the locking nuetrik output jack. Locking tuners make the string changes so much easier, just for the time saving aspect of it, i love them. As far as the input jack goes, yes, its a small detail, but its so god damn convienent, one time i was jamming and stepped on the cord by accident and the guitar yanked me downwards because of it and it was still plugged in :lol:. So it holds the cord in there like there's no tomorrow. i feel confident that i could copy yngwie, except by the cord instead of the strap, and it would stay on there. Bonus points to how they place the strap pin on the back of the horn instead of on the end, its just personal preference but i like it much more.

Also, its really minor, but the offset dots are ALSO the side markers, and there's only 2 center dots on the 12 and 24th fret :hbang:

Rating: :yesway: :yesway: :yesway: :yesway: :yesway:

Sound:

This is one of the best sounding guitars i've heard in a long time, and thats with the stock pickups. i dont know what they are. Bill Conklin doesnt know what they are. But they rule. As i stated in the other thread, i can get artificial harmonics ANYWHERE on the neck, in either the neck position OR the bridge position, which i've never been able to do on any other guitar before, with this ammount of ease. i found myself jamming and doing AH's without even trying. The cherry body sounds bright as well as clear. Even unplugged it sounds amazing. This in and of itself made me determine if i ever get a custom shop guitar, i would like to get a cherry body. When i bought it, i had the intention of putting DiMarzio's in here but i think i'll just leave it how it is, cause it sounds so good there's no reason to change it.

Playability:
This is also amazing. the neck shape is similar to the newer UV's and the 7321's in feel. its thinner than most other 7 strings out there, aside from Ibanez. the fretboard feels very unique. after i adjusted the action and trussrod after a string change, it plays so easily. the radius on the fretboard itself seems to be a flatter than what im used to, but i have grown to really enjoy the way it feels. The neck joint feels awesome, its comparable, if not better designed than the AANJ from ibanez (from me thats saying a lot). Upper fret access couldn't be easier.

Rating :yesway: :yesway: :yesway: :yesway: :yesway:

Value:
I paid 319$+shipping & tax. Its also worth mentioning that i ordered it from Guitar Center tallahassee.. i ordered it monday, they shipped it tuesday and it got here wednesday. Thats badass service \m/
Is it a value? For what i paid - Hell yeah it was a good value. I've yet to see another 7 string in this price range with this quality and these features. I totally ripped myself off buying from guitar center, when i could've waited and gotten it for 100$ less from ebay, but i NEEDED it. That said, i still feel that for 320$ i got my money's woth and if you can get them on ebay for around 220-250$, you're getting a STEAL.

Rating: :yesway: :yesway: :yesway: :yesway:

Overall::

this is simply the best guitar in this price range,aside from the RG7620 or RG76/421. If you're looking for a fixed bridge guitar under 500$, then this should be it. Dont even fuck around with anything else.

Pics here:

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12375

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GiantBaba

omnicidal godmachine
Contributor
Reaction score
Pericles said:
Goddamn, i wish i could find a conklin for that cheap!!!

I paid 200 for mine, the black hardtail version. Then I traded it and it still makes cry when about that so...

Nice axe Metal Ken!

Nick1

Reaction score
Ive played 3 of them. They seem pretty cool except for the small ass frets. maybe its just me. I like massive frets.

Donnie

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I kind of dig the smaller frets. :yesway: I'm pretty heavy handed and big frets just trip me up. But, I do like bigger frets for riffing.
So yeah... bad ass guitars. I guess that's why I have 2 of them. :metal: