Rg 7620 modification thread... RG->JPM

• Thread starter KGINDI7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KGINDI7

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I was wondering if I could make the body of my rg7620 carved like we see on custom model of Chris Broderick from megadeth. I mean does my guitar has enough wood on its side
Also, any drawings of the contours will be helpful.

I am trying to refinish my guitar with jpm Picasso graphics. I do think that it would look better with carved top, if its possible.

I am wondering between these three color options. :ugh::ugh:

and

Thanks for your help

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KarlMagnusRobin

Köttbullar är fint..
Reaction score
You wont be able to carve the top because of the control-cavity, to thin there.. you will carve a big hole through your guitar!
You could carve it like an RGD but I advice against carving it like an RGA! :)

KGINDI7

Reaction score
Thanks. But what if I carve it like its in the 1st image I have posted above. I thinks thats possible. Its only on the sides. Right :scratch:
Also.
Can anyone help me with some intresting themes on the picasso graphics

Last edited:

Wretched

Reaction score
The top image looks like an RGA. I think you'll find that you'll still end up going through into the electronics cavity if you try that. But it is really a matter of measuring the thickness of the top in that area by taking out a pot and using some calipers to measure the thickness and not going any deeper with the carving than about a 1/4-in or so (more experienced guys feel free to interject) from the depth of the cavity. Plus, unless you also angle the inside of the cavity to match the new angle of the guitar's surface (or do that PRS-style beveling around the knobs), then the pots won't sit right.

KGINDI7

Reaction score
Well ,
I did whatever I could do with my hands using different levels of sandpaper and wood files without making a hole in my guitar.

Rounded the corners and sealed the control holes using epoxy. Maybe you guys can see it in the pic I have added which was taken using a brick..

The body looks more cool now.

And yes. A layer of White base coat is sprayed just before taking the pic. Its just the base coat and will be sanded to smooth surface so no problem with the drips..

KGINDI7

Reaction score
After 2 hours of tracing and sketching session, I came up with this..

edit...

Updated the design a bit after watching video of john playing live with the same guitar

slapnutz

Reaction score
Hey dude, love the idea coz i'm thinking the same thing.

So I'm very curious as to how this works out for you. Will be watching with much interest. :)