RG2228 Owners Check-In

Malkav

Washing your dishes.
Reaction score
Reporting!

Been about a year now, still love it, still hate the pickups...

Wanna get the dimarzios really badly....

Don't wanna go with covers or rings though, just gonna leave the routes open and then stuff the cavity with neoprene to hold the pickup tight. Thinking of getting a spalted maple top put on it with a clearcoat blue to green burst, it's my main axe and I freedive as one of my other big passions. The spalted maple idea sort of reminds me of the ocean so I'd like my guitar to appear that way. like this:

2q0FP.jpg

I know this one is photoshopped, I just really love it and I want a finish like this so badly. Luthiers I've spoken to seem to believe this may be possible, but if anyone else has further information I would appreciate that :)

I figured if I get it retopped I could then have Bubinga inserts put in the pickup cavities to help stabilise and then the cap would cover them :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dayn

Reaction score
I may as well post, seeing as I got mine... at the end of 2009, I think. Got it for my 21st birthday instead of a car. Cars can go to hell when there's a guitar on the line.

After all this time I'm still learning what I can do on it. Learning how to set it up has been an ongoing adventure... I recently switched to a custom set of GHS strings, and the GHS .080 holds its tone far better than a D'Addario .080 I find. I also went 4/4 with plain/wound strings, using a .019p for D. Anyone else tried it? It started off fine, but now it has a little bit of buzz either around the saddle or the nut... I'll have to try to pinpoint what's causing it.

s2k9k

Reaction score
Yo! just got one a few days ago at a killer price. Pics are coming.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
I've had a 2228A since the summer. I only actually got around to fiddlin with the action the other day. I actually sunk the action literally as low as it can go without the strings hitting the pickup when I palm mute. Anyone else have it like this?

It's impossible to get a good set of strings in Japan. It's like 50 bucks to get some circle K's shipped. I've been using the earnie ball set, but I don't really like them. Next I'm gonna go for the daddario light top heavy bottom... but even still that's only a 74 on the low string. I keep it tuned to F standard (Meshuggahhhhhh) instead of drop E so maybe the 74 will suffice? But I'm pretty sure almost anyone would say I should at least be using an 80 for anything below F#?

RevelGTR

Reaction score
Had one a bit ago, very stupidly sold it, and have another on the way. For F standard the D'addario 10-59 set plus a single 80 is pretty sweet. I will also say, people are WAY to hard on the stock 808's. They're good sounding pickups, though I may pick up a set of 808x's.

ben_hurt

Reaction score
Didn't realize this thread existed... here's me recording at Howl Street studio with my RG2228. No idea what year it's from...
9049609701_5f0ff06bae.jpg

RevelGTR

Reaction score
Just rejoined the 2228 club! Brand new for $1300, I'm still astonished. The guitar plays great, NGD thread on the way!
rg2228007.jpg

Experimorph

Reaction score
I don't think I ever voiced out in here, so here's my RG2228A that I got last summer or so. Loaded with Aftermaths!

1z1saif.jpg

Given To Fly

Reaction score
I've had mine for a long time but apparently forgot to check in with this thread. :frantic: I have no doubt much chaos ensued. Anyways, its the one on the right. :cool:

2rrkms2.jpg

MannyMoonjava

Figgjo Fallout Shelter Wizardry
Reaction score
I got a 2228A this summer! However, im struggeling with the low F#. Tried putting an 0.80 string in, but the bridge would not take it. When i started to tune it the string jumped out off the bridge..

How/what do you guys do?

Latest posts