RG2228 Owners Check-In

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

muffgoat

The Djentle Giant
Reaction score
Another one eh... you bugger :lol: i still really wanna come out there soon and jam it up and i can set them shits up for ya
i just got my second one today. i need to get it setup bad. the strings are floppy and the intonation is out.
By the way.. what do you do for work kevin, you have sooo much gear i would die for lmao
i'll get on it after we record vocals tonight, im at work right now. (even though i work from home)

Crucified

Deathgrind Maniac
Reaction score
i work for an up and coming isp in alberta, they supply wireless internet to rural areas. its a good gig. i also have a good amount of debt. It's all very managable though.

muffgoat

The Djentle Giant
Reaction score
:lol: right along side ya buddy, having nice gear AND a nice car is fucking killer...:realmad: and stupid HAHAHA i really dont know why i do some days but then i go for a drive or play my gear :rolleyes:
i work for an up and coming isp in alberta, they supply wireless internet to rural areas. its a good gig. i also have a good amount of debt. It's all very managable though.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
I picked up mine just under 2 weeks ago, absolutely storming guitar in every aspect. Sounds and plays amazingly, right off the shelf. I love playing it infront of the uninformed, so I can watch them gasp and ask "It's got how many strings?!"

Good times:D

Crucified

Deathgrind Maniac
Reaction score
I want to check out Bare Knuckle pickups in my ibby. I'm pretty excited for the nordstrand ones in my sherman as well.

silvestrien

Reaction score
I got RG2228 10 days ago. I love the thing. Everything seems to be in order, frets, intonations, maybe I have to manoeuver the truss rod a bit to avoid the 8th bass string frying when I strike really heavy, but maybe I shouldn't. I do need a piece of adivice, though: what strings (gauge, make, type, etc.) can be recommended for the 8th string?

What do you think of tuning the 8th string as G rather than F#, to have an open bass G?

Enrico

Crucified

Deathgrind Maniac
Reaction score
i use a 70 on the rg2228 and a 74 on my sherman, the sherman has a longer scale though. on the rg a 70 feels really good.

Hexer

Contributor
Reaction score
some string-manufacturers do produce guitarstrings in that range, even up to 80. Daddario and GHS come to mind

Crucified

Deathgrind Maniac
Reaction score
they are bass strings that i'm using but honestly, there work just fine and match the guitar string set tone.

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
I think he's going to buy another 8 string soon after :D SC608B?

Zoltta

Guns N Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
yes trading it in for the 608. Its more to the spec i desire. Cant afford to keep both

It sucks i cant have both cause i really love this thing, but im almost 100 percent sure ill like the 608 more considering i already own a 607, so i have some clue how its going to be

nexbot

Reaction score
yes trading it in for the 608. Its more to the spec i desire. Cant afford to keep both

It sucks i cant have both cause i really love this thing, but im almost 100 percent sure ill like the 608 more considering i already own a 607, so i have some clue how its going to be

Dude, you'll have to let me know how you like the 608B.

You'll be the first person I know to have directly compared the two!:hbang:

Zoltta

Guns N Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Sure thing man, i should be getting it around the 12th. Ill post a pic story on it too if i have time

KaLeVaLA

Sir Mix-A-Lot
Reaction score
So...i´m thinking about going and get my rg2228 intonated.
But im kinda noob on string tuning. What tuning is a good tuning? I want it in drop.

F?

Reaction score
I Love Metal, and so:
It's a great guitar. I Love It!!!!!!!!!

but to answer a few questions I saw about it. Ibanez designs their guitars, for how they think they will be used, with design advice from those requesting such models I think???

And so, the action is set, extreemly low on purpose ---with a slight intensional buzz /to give the most extreme low action possible /and with the slight buzz, as I see many strat fans also like to use, because it is a "coveted" set up style by many, including the Metal Head Musicians Ibanez feels want it that way the most.

And with that slight buzz, when amplified, it simulates a slight spongey sound ( ????), as it's been described, ( but seems to Me, would generate it's own harp harmonics ---without any help ), --but in actualy usage with note clarity, more than you would expect, inspite of the slight buzz.

But Ibanez is famous for setting up their guitars with low gauge string sets to begin with, and one would think going up a gauge, would slightly pull the neck ( more tension to reach a higher pitch to relative string thickness ), and sit just a little higher,

But the action is set, just too low, for Me, even though I am pure Metal in My taste of music,

So I raised the bridge just a little ( which required more turns on the bridge height/adjusting screws ( if you could call those monsters screws ---it's a good thing I have a very wide blade straight edge screwdriver ), and in increments I adjusted the truss rod,

I wanted to give it time to settle, so I did the truss rod, a few times, and the action is still unbelieveably low ----like the lowest action I have on a guitar, and yet I got rid of the slight buzz.

I don't care about their recomended set up specs, as they invision it's set up extreemly low, which I still retain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Their design, and quality, and sound is excellent, and it's a wonderfull guitar, which I love, but I just prefer a little higher action, without the boderline buzz.

But any adjustment at all ( like adding or removing bend to a neck ----affects the overall string length from nut to brifge < even if only a micro amount > ), and therefore intonation needs to be checked /and adjusted if needs be, after adding bend to the neck.

I have not decided yet, if I want to use any heavier strings or not, cause I love it as is,

It's an awsome guitar.

But I would change, the whole hidding the active pickup battery, in that small control knob compartment like that, and opt for a change, to a seperate, battery compartment ---the kind, where you can just unlock the cover, without removing screws, to change the battery.

And so, until they invent, a heavy duty enough tremolo arm, for those things, I would not change anything else on it, except maybee ask for "Gothic Cross" fret inlays standard?????????

I have seen the picture of one, somewhere, youtube, or myspace, which showed one with gothic cross inlays, and did a double take, cause it sure looked like thr rg2228gk to Me.

I also use ( at the very least ) a MXR M-108 10 band EQ, and when I save up, like many well built racks have, I would look into those 32 channel graphic eq's, and BBE sonic equalizers ( 421's ??? ), etc.., and all of that other expensive stuff, before I complained, about not liking the "sound" I get out of a 7, or 8 string guitar,

Because BBE, is correct, about sound getting out of time and phase, and cheap, and expensive rigs can be improved with one ( but the BBE, which I don't own yet ----as I have no more money to spend at this very moment ),

but My MXR 10 band EQ, is killer, with this guitar, and a good tube amp,

and so what about 2 MXR M-108's, ( set up with slightly differnt scoops/boosts ), and a Boss LS-2, functionality/switchable, line switcher,

for the 2 10 band eq's, or the 2 10 band eq's, and a bypass channel, etc.., ????

:bowdown: