RG7321 Refinish

• Thread starter ascender
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ascender

Reaction score
I've been thinking of some of the ways I could refinish my 7321. Considered paint ... but I'm not feeling solid colors, or anything else, right now. Thought about staining the sanded body ... but I have to hide the filled 5 way switch hole. So I decided to veneer!

Here's how she started.
IMG_0333.jpg

IMG_0339.jpg

IMG_0335.jpg

Sanded down the front and filled the 5 way switch from the front and back.
IMG_0364.jpg

IMG_0365.jpg

IMG_0367.jpg

Thought I was gonna just leave the sides and back black. But I decided to finish sanding, so I can stain the back and sides dark to accent the top.
IMG_0404.jpg

IMG_0406.jpg

IMG_0408.jpg

Gonna go with bright yellow DiMarzio action for some pups.:shred:
Evo7
IMG_0433.jpg

And my Blaze 7 neck is due to be delivered today!

ANNNNND just out of the box, no more than 10 minutes ago ... my veneer!
Hellloooo zebrawood!:hbang:
IMG_0440.jpg

IMG_0441.jpg

On my next day off, I'll think I'll be cutting and gluing the veneer. I'm also replacing the nut with a Graphtech Black Tusq XL, replacing the saddles with Graphtech String Savers and using some copper shielding tape in the control cavity.

I'll post progress updates as things unfold.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ascender

Reaction score
So I stained the back and sides ... a bit unevenly right now. I'm gonna have to go back and rework that a bit. But here's a feel for the color. Goooooood ol' walnut! Fuck yeah walnut!
IMG_0442.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_0453.jpg
[/IMG]

Neck pup came today, as expected. But, my next day off is Sunday. So that'll probably be my next opportunity to work on things. If I get a few spare minutes to work on anything, I'll make sure to throw up some photos.

Thanks for checking it out dudes.

ascender

Reaction score
So I've been slacking something fierce on updating this. The lady and I found out we got a new house, so I've been stressed about packing, working, moving and refinishing this thing all at once. And we got the final word on moving into our new place with only 28 days notice. So, we've been all sorts of crazy.

ANYWAY! On to the photos ... here's where she stands. And sorry in advance about the shitty cell phone photos / lack of photos this time around. The lady had her camera packed away.

Veneer on, cavities cut. Didn't get to the string-thru cutting at this point ... that was a damn pain the ass
74430c81.jpg

Mid-poly ... it was chilly outside and no heat in the garage. So I was spraying outside and moving inside QUICKLY.
c28b344b.jpg

022ba893.jpg

Poly finished, p-ups and bridge sitting around just to get a feel for the overall look.
b07bcb05.jpg

Still waiting on the decal for my headstock, but that should be here tomorrow. Once I get that put on and poly'ed, I'll be in good shape. Also waiting on the Black Tusq XL nut and String Saver saddles. Those should be here any time now as well.

Fred

Reaction score
Fantastic-looking work so far, man. Bumping this a little partly to see if there's been any more progress, and partly to say that I've just sent you a PM with a few questions. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out!

cyprian0810

Reaction score
Dude LOVE the zebrawood veneer and walnut stain choice. Looks rad :hbang:

What are you going to do for pickup switching without the 5-way blade? Something like a push-pull operation?

CrossingTheEventHorizon

Reaction score
Man this looks killer! But I have a few questions I hope you or someone else can help me with.
1) how did you do the red binding on the first pic you have before you refinished it? I'd really like to do a green binding like that on mine :)
2) Where did you get dimarzio's that color? I want some green/pink dimarzios to put in my universe!

thanks!

ascender

Reaction score
Thanks for bumping the thread dudes! And thank you even more for all the kind words! I haven't forgotten about it. But with moving the first part of the month, time hasn't been on my side. She's just about finished up ... finalizing all the wiring and new saddles / nut, then on to the final setup and all that good stuff. Hopefully she will be finished up soon ... some good natural light photos, maybe a video or two. We'll see what happens!

What are you going to do for pickup switching without the 5-way blade? Something like a push-pull operation?

If you take a look at the original photos, you can see a 3 way Gibson style switch where the volume pot used to be ... and the volume was shifted to the tone position. No tone pot. I thought about a push/pull deal, but that's just not me. I'm a pretty simple guy when it comes to controls.

1) how did you do the red binding on the first pic you have before you refinished it? I'd really like to do a green binding like that on mine :)
2) Where did you get dimarzio's that color? I want some green/pink dimarzios to put in my universe!

The red striping was just auto pinstriping tape. You can find it at any sort of autoparts store in many colors and widths. For some reason, the actual brand name is escaping me right now.:scratch:

As for the pups, I got my Evo7 from a fellow ss.org member, and the Blaze7 neck was from banjomikez on eBay. He's got tons of DiMarzio's alllllllll the time. And you get tons of extras when you order from him. It's pretty excellent.

Reaction score
Wow that zebrawood looks UH-MAZE-ING!! I've been wanting to refinish my 7321 for awhile now, Im too scared to take the first plunge and sand off the paint though :ugh:

ibanezRG1527

Banned
Reaction score
Man this looks killer! But I have a few questions I hope you or someone else can help me with.
1)......

thanks!
sorry to say but all you can get from dimarzio is black, white, cream, yellow, green, BLK/GRN, and BLK/CRM

its a damn shame too. some dont even get that. i wanted a white X2N7 but it only comes in black

ascender

Reaction score
sorry to say but all you can get from dimarzio is black, white, cream, yellow, green, BLK/GRN, and BLK/CRM

its a damn shame too. some dont even get that. i wanted a white X2N7 but it only comes in black

Custom orders can be done. Just go to your local DiMarzio dealer, and they'll have to make a phone call and should be able to get it all squared away for you.

Looks good, pal - Keep it up.
Thank you, good sir!