RG7620 on Reverb

• Thread starter devastone
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
Looks pretty nice for only $600, especially if you gave him an offer for even cheaper. Just looks to be a bit dusty and may need a setup.

devastone

Reaction score
I've already received it and yeah, for an offer of $550, would have preferred black, but since it was listed as excellent condition, and the pics looked good, that one seemed like a no brainer. Just wondering if I'm being really picky because I apparently missed some stuff in the pics.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
I've already received it and yeah, for an offer of $550, would have preferred black, but since it was listed as excellent condition, and the pics looked good, that one seemed like a no brainer. Just wondering if I'm being really picky because I apparently missed some stuff in the pics.
If you have already bought it and received it, I'm not sure what you are asking us then. Only you know the answers since you actually have the guitar with you.

devastone

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else notices anything in the pics that I missed. I'm thinking about trying to return it, the hardware is in good shape, the neck looks good, I haven't had time to set it up and play it yet, but the condition definitely isn't excellent. There are some nice big chunks of finish in the body, and I missed them in the pics. There is one about the size of a dime below the trem and some more around the edges, yeah, they are filled in with black sharpie or something, just wondering if anyone else noticed them in the pics, 'cause I missed them. I don't think the pics were doctored or anything, but they definitely don't really make anything visible either.

So, yeah, I'm venting, and trying to get a sanity check on myself, and wondering HTH I missed that in the pics. Yeah, it may play and sound great, and I'm not really that picky, but the seller and I definitely have different opinions on what "excellent" condition is, was expecting some scratches, but...

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone else notices anything in the pics that I missed. I'm thinking about trying to return it, the hardware is in good shape, the neck looks good, I haven't had time to set it up and play it yet, but the condition definitely isn't excellent. There are some nice big chunks of finish in the body, and I missed them in the pics. There is one about the size of a dime below the trem and some more around the edges, yeah, they are filled in with black sharpie or something, just wondering if anyone else noticed them in the pics, 'cause I missed them. I don't think the pics were doctored or anything, but they definitely don't really make anything visible either.

So, yeah, I'm venting, and trying to get a sanity check on myself, and wondering HTH I missed that in the pics. Yeah, it may play and sound great, and I'm not really that picky, but the seller and I definitely have different opinions on what "excellent" condition is, was expecting some scratches, but...
If that's true, then I would absolutely return it. That is definitely not what "Excellent" mean on Reverb. Taken form Reverb's site "Excellent items should be free of blemishes and other visual defects." Obviously that guitar is not in excellent condition. If you're happy with what you got for what you paid just keep it. Sadly there are sellers like this out there.

DiezelMonster

Complainasaurus Rex
Reaction score
If the hardware is in good shape then suck it up. Honestly you should have asked more questions before you bought it. Buyer beware. Sorry to sound harsh.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
If the hardware is in good shape then suck it up. Honestly you should have asked more questions before you bought it. Buyer beware. Sorry to sound harsh.
I definitely wouldn't say that. Like I said in my previous post. The seller technically lied. If you were to follow Reverb's conditions, this would be considered "Very Good" not "Excellent".

Hell if there are small chunks taken out like OP is saying, then that wouldn't even classify as "Very Good", it would just be "Good".

Can we see pictures of the marks you are concerned about?

devastone

Reaction score
Like I just said, I didn't see the damage in the pics when I bought it, just wondering if anyone else could see them. So, am I blind or are they well disguised in the pics?

I've bought and sold tons of stuff through ebay and reverb of the last 15 years, and this was probably the most misleading thing that has happened. I have had sellers disappointed before (maybe twice in >500 deals), and I just let them return the item and be done with it, not worth the karma.

DiezelMonster

Complainasaurus Rex
Reaction score
That's great. But as a buyer sadly, you need to ask for recent pictures, ask all questions. That's the world we live in. Don't forget he got a guitar for $550 which new would have been a grand.

I bought one of these new, black in 1998 and have owned it ever since but I paid $1300 canadian. I'd be lucky to get one now, here for less than half. I have 4 7620s because they represent good value. You can't buy a premium right now for 550 with the hardware and construction this has, so suck it up. He has a good guitar. So what it's 10% less in condition? If the hardware isn't pitted and missing then shut up and play the freakin guitar.

Just my not so humble opinion.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Looks pretty dinged up in the video, and you can see the large spot by the trem.

I suppose you could have thought that was a trick of the light, but it's not like the guy is hiding them.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
That's great. But as a buyer sadly, you need to ask for recent pictures, ask all questions. That's the world we live in. Don't forget he got a guitar for $550 which new would have been a grand.

I bought one of these new, black in 1998 and have owned it ever since but I paid $1300 canadian. I'd be lucky to get one now, here for less than half. I have 4 7620s because they represent good value. You can't buy a premium right now for 550 with the hardware and construction this has, so suck it up. He has a good guitar. So what it's 10% less in condition? If the hardware isn't pitted and missing then shut up and play the freakin guitar.

Just my not so humble opinion.
Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed today.

devastone

Reaction score
The video is a totally different guitar, it's just a youtube of a RG7620. And I thought the spot by the trem looked like a shadow before I knew it was there. Yes, I know I f'ed up, but combined with being listed as excellent, I kinda took him at his word.

This thread took a wrong turn. Again, just wondering if the damage seemed obvious to everyone else and I just totally missed it.

FWIW, I am well aware of what guitars are worth vs condition, and the pics are "new".

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
At $550, with upgraded bridge pickup, case and strap, it's a good deal.

A flawless RG7620 would be way more.

Heck, folks try to get over $600 for thier beaters these days. I doubt you're going to find better.

I say keep it and get it refinished your favorite color if a few dings bother you.

Do you have any pictures that better show the damage?

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
The video is a totally different guitar, it's just a youtube of a RG7620. And I thought the spot by the trem looked like a shadow before I knew it was there. Yes, I know I f'ed up, but combined with being listed as excellent, I kinda took him at his word.

This thread took a wrong turn. Again, just wondering if the damage seemed obvious to everyone else and I just totally missed it.

FWIW, I am well aware of what guitars are worth vs condition, and the pics are "new".
I'm going to ask again if you can show us pictures of what dings you are talking about so we can compare them to the seller's pictures and answer your main question. I mean sure, I don't really see any marks on the pictures, but I also don't know how bad the dings really are.

I'm sorry, let me sugar coat everything for you and agree with Someone that didn't do their due dilligence. Gtfo.

All my point is, the seller technically didn't follow Reverb's guidelines. You can't deny that even if you wanted it. Now whether the buyer cares enough or if it bothers them enough, that's completely up to them. You can't just bash the buyer when the seller breaks the rules of Reverb.

devastone

Reaction score
Yeah, I was going to make some later and post them, again, just trying to see if what I missed was obvious to everyone else. And no, I wasn't expecting flawless, not many used guitars are.

Oh yeah, the strap is well used and probably going in the garbage if I don't send it back (I don't consider a well used dirty strap a bonus), and the case is beat, the strap buttons are falling out (yeah, I know that's an easy fix, have done it often), so yeah, the bridge seems to be in good shape and it has a different pickup (the original Blaze Custom is a fine pickup IMHO and both are US DMZs), the neck looks okay, but really won't know until I set it up and play it. I'm deciding whether to try to return it, or go ahead and set it up and check it out, which I don't want to change strings and everything if I'm not keeping it, then the seller can complain that I "changed" it.

There are lots of people asking a lot more for 7620s in great shape, but anyone can ask what they want, those have been there for months and aren't going anywhere. I've bought and sold quite a few here for the around the same price in much better shape. I had to sell everything last spring after I was out of work for a while, including my 87 or 88 rootbeer JEM that's been my main guitar for the last 10+ years.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
All my point is, the seller technically didn't follow Reverb's guidelines. You can't deny that even if you wanted it. Now whether the buyer cares enough or if it bothers them enough, that's completely up to them. You can't just bash the buyer when the seller breaks the rules of Reverb.

If you read the guidelines here, they're kind of contradictory.

https://reverb.com/news/gear-conditions-and-what-they-mean

Under "Excellent" it does say:

For newer gear, Excellent items should be free of blemishes and other visual defects. For vintage items, there may be some marks here and there, but the item is still in the top echelon when compared to similar examples.

So would you consider this 20 year old guitar "new"?

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
If you read the guidelines here, they're kind of contradictory.

https://reverb.com/news/gear-conditions-and-what-they-mean

Under "Excellent" it does say:

So would you consider this 20 year old guitar "new"?
Yeah I definitely get what you mean. But I definitely wouldn't call it vintage. It's a bit of a weird middle ground. If it was a newer guitar I would put it under "Good" but because it is a much older guitar I would bump it to "Very Good".

Latest posts