RG8 Swirled or Natural?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Randomist

Reaction score
definately match the inlays, and in my experience, basswood looks awful natural, you'll be lucky if the colour is in any way consistant and to even be able to make out the grain.

swirl it red and black and put red dots in there, then get red p-ups and controls, and match the headstock as well.... i think red base and black swirl would look pretty cool, the negative of the usual...

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
basswood can look good if you dye it some darker color and then oil it, but otherwise it´s just really yellow :p

plyta

Rusty spoon...
Reaction score
It really depends on what kind of wood you find there after peeling the factory paint.

I can bet that it'll be 3 piece body with front and back veneers. If them wood pieces are nice and glue lines are nice and smooth the natural is the way to go.

I've actually seen some pictures of nicely done natural 7620's, 1527's and other basswood Ibanezes.

twiztedchild

Banned
Reaction score
definately match the inlays, and in my experience, basswood looks awful natural, you'll be lucky if the colour is in any way consistant and to even be able to make out the grain.

swirl it red and black and put red dots in there, then get red p-ups and controls, and match the headstock as well.... i think red base and black swirl would look pretty cool, the negative of the usual...

if Im doing this to an 8 string wouldnt it be hard to find red pickups?:scratch:

twiztedchild

Banned
Reaction score

those are awesome.:yesway:

and I know alot of people say this but Black is getting boring to be. Ibanez has the rg7321 in black and the rg2228 in black. but has the 1527 in blue? WTF? oh and the s7320 is black. metal is about individualism right? its not that crap emo. :lol:

Hell even the ESP 8 strings and that one Schecter 8 string at drumcityguitarland are all black. Red is Metal too!!

Variant

Banned
Reaction score
NO NOT SWIRL RG2228! Swirls have thier place, the eighter is a metal machine, keep it black! :agreed:

Edit: Now that I think of it, if your going to put a Jem finish on an RG2228, Burned Stained Blue would be great, except in leiu of the blue, a dark gray would be sweet... and don't forget the screwhead inlays! :shred:

twiztedchild

Banned
Reaction score
I dont know what screwhead inlays are.:scratch:

But about the JEM thing. yeah kind of like that. But I may also just do a Green dot UV motif maybe get some of those pickups up there in green (I know that thier green isnt the right shade but owell) It would still be kick ass looking :bowdown::shred::hbang:

Variant

Banned
Reaction score
and I know alot of people say this but Black is getting boring to be. Ibanez has the rg7321 in black and the rg2228 in black. but has the 1527 in blue? WTF? oh and the s7320 is black. metal is about individualism right? its not that crap emo. :lol:

:squint: Black is metal... Vintage is emo. :noway: Sure, black has been done to death, and I'll agree with that... but black doesn't have to be just plain black. Maybe a marblized/swirl pattern, or a sandblasted Geiger model kinda thing, trans black over a spalt top, or my aformentioned burned stained black... be creative guys.

I dont know what screwhead inlays are.:scratch:

20070523image0006gl7.jpg

Screwhead + Inlays. :lol:

twiztedchild

Banned
Reaction score
That is what I thought you ment :lol: that is a nice as guitar too. is it yours?
also everything you just said sounds like it would be cool too :):yesway:

Variant

Banned
Reaction score
That is what I thought you ment :lol: that is a nice as guitar too. is it yours?
also everything you just said sounds like it would be cool too :):yesway:

No, my only Jem (a 777) was traded off long, long ago. But now you got me thinking about doing such things to my RG2228... but I'll leave it be. Actually, on the topic of black, if (and when) I get a custom / Infinity Guitar Works prototype built for myself, there's an extremely high likelyhood that it'll be white. :cool:

twiztedchild

Banned
Reaction score
Nice. White is becoming the new metal it seem :lol: B. C. Rich makes a White warlock, Ibanez Has a white RG neck thru(6 string, both)

but if you DO do something to you rg2228 I want to see pics :)

Variant

Banned
Reaction score

Well, I contemplated doing my "signature" finish by having someone do the top and headstock with a maple quilt which I would then whitewash and gloss... but then thought, "Well, for it right, I'd want a +6 fret quilt maple fingerboard to match... and I might as well have the luthier reprofile & arch the bodyshape and chamfer the cutaways." And then started thinking, "Well, hardware would have to be copper plated as well to be right." But really, the money spent would probably put me well onto my way to a custom. Like I said, one of these days. :cool:

Piledriver

Reaction score
Nice. White is becoming the new metal it seem :lol: B. C. Rich makes a White warlock, Ibanez Has a white RG neck thru(6 string, both)

white is metal as hell... but i dont think its going right with rosewood fretboard.:fawk:

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score
No natural on a basswood guitar. Basswood is pretty ugly. Get it swirled or do some crazy day-glo color. Might as well play an 8 and get some attention for it!

Latest posts