RG8 vs RGir28fe

• Thread starter Kristianx510
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kristianx510

Reaction score
I am looking to get back into 8 string playing and decided to get an Ibanez. I was looking at the RG8 RGA8 and RGir28fe, but quickly cut the RGA out because I dislike the bridge.
I know the prices of these other two guitars are far from each other but from what I hear the build quality is really similar. I played the iron label, and completely loved it, but havent tried the RG8 yet. So I figured my choice comes down to, do i want an 8 string with passive pickups, or one with actives and a killswitch.

anyone have some advice?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

oracles

Reaction score
I bought the Iron Label as opposed to the RG8. I found the Iron Label felt nicer and played better in my hands. I wouldn't say the difference in price is justified by that alone, but it feels like the more solid of the two to me.

Adrian-XI

Reaction score
I would personally never get the iron label purely because for that little bit extra money, you could have a DC800.

GSingleton

Sleep on, Fly on
Vendor
Reaction score
be aware of the bridge because the iron label has the gibraltar bridge. I sold my first seven because it had that bridge. It is just uncomfy after you play hipshot or other bridges.

7stg

Reaction score
I would personally never get the iron label purely because for that little bit extra money, you could have a DC800.
:agreed:

I could not have said it better myself.

kris_jammage

Reaction score
be aware of the bridge because the iron label has the gibraltar bridge. I sold my first seven because it had that bridge. It is just uncomfy after you play hipshot or other bridges.

As far as I know they have changed the Gibralter bridge for the 8 string version, lowered the edges and overall profile so its more comfy. Can say for sure though as I havent played the new version.

OP, I would say if you have the money go for the Iron Label, or you could get the RG8 and put the left over cash into a few mods like new pickups etc.

Either way you'll be getting a great guitar!

Reaction score
I am looking to get back into 8 string playing and decided to get an Ibanez. I was looking at the RG8 RGA8 and RGir28fe, but quickly cut the RGA out because I dislike the bridge.
I know the prices of these other two guitars are far from each other but from what I hear the build quality is really similar. I played the iron label, and completely loved it, but havent tried the RG8 yet. So I figured my choice comes down to, do i want an 8 string with passive pickups, or one with actives and a killswitch.

anyone have some advice?

Keep it simple and go with the RG8 and upgrade the pickups down the road. I don't care for the way the Gibraltar bridge has this sharp point that dug into my palm. No fretboard markers is a turn off to me as well.

Igotsoul4u

Reaction score
I would prefer an RG8 with mods, but I was happy with the Iron label I played. I don't understand why people hate the Gibralter bridge. It seems very comfortable and not sharp at all. The RG8 bridge is much sharper. Build quality is better on the iron label. The RG8 I have been playing is still well made and stays in tune pretty well. I have been playing it at the shop for a couple weeks and really dig it. I don't even think the stock pickups are as bad as everyone says. I don't Djent professionally so it doesn't matter that much to me but I still don't like playing crappy guitars. The RG8 isn't crappy, its just bare bones.

Latest posts