Rhetorical question about criteria on 6, 7 and 8 string forums...

• Thread starter odibrom
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Soooo, what's up guys?

This is a question that have been haunting me for a awhile, what are the criteria behind each forum? I mean, there are threads that could be in either 2 of them, for example Baritone related. These could either be in the ERG (8 stringed and beyond) or in the 6 or 7 string forum, depending on the string count.

IMHO that this multitude of criteria generates confusion and does not help on data search if one is to search for infos.

So, I think these forums should differentiate themselves only on string count and disregard scale length. Let's face it, a Strat compared to a LesPaul is like a Baritone to a Strat (just a figure of speech)...

What say you?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
The subheadings are pretty clear about it, IMO.

Yes, they are... until you read Baritone under the ERG forum. Baritone refers to scale length, which introduces a different criteria in the ERG forum. Until then, we could differentiate forums by string count, example:
  • Imagine I have a NGD of an Ibby RGD7XXX? It has a baritone scale, should it go into the ERG or into the 7 string forum?

And the same problem arises on all the other baritones from more traditional designs like 6 stringed Fenders...

IMO, the only scale length criteria for stringed instruments that is useful is the Bass forum, for these have a clear distinction of guitar designs and tones.

Just trying to discuss this, not lecturing anyone. Feel free to disagree. I just think it is confusing...

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Aren't all 7+ stringed guitars considered ERG anyway? It's not that confusing... You're on a site called "sevenstring.org", posting about 7-string guitars- if it's a 7, go to the 7 section, cause that's where people who care about 7s will be. If it's not a 7, but still considered an ERG, go to the ERG section. :shrug:

It's just a forum. People know how to search. I dunno about others, but I don't even browse by category, I just hit the "new posts" button every once in a while until something interesting comes up. :lol:

Reaction score
Allow me to disagree, this is not just a web forum, it's THE guitar related web forum :hbang:

Yeah, everyone know how to search... As said, just raising a rhetorical question. The previous example was just it, an example...