Riffs. Oni Content.

• Thread starter G_3_3_k_
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
One of the biggest questions I get about the Onis is how they sound.

Here’s an IG clip of me playing a reworked set of riffs from one on my old band’s songs. I wrote the original on 6 string. So they evolve quite a bit for this. Playing is a tad sloppy, but this is more about the guitar than me showing off.

Amp is literally just a Yamaha TH30. Straight in. Dialed in for a good enough sound. And my iPhone 14 picking up the sound in the room.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BigViolin

...---...
Reaction score
Sounds really good to me, especially for straight in to a practice amp. What you have me curious about is the clover pre. Would that box give me something significantly different than a dirty tree, 805 or the other TS style boosts? The clover seems like it would be pretty versatile but I’m wondering about the secret sauce. Is it a more versatile tone shaper than these other boxes with BMT controls? Thanks!

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
Sounds really good to me, especially for straight in to a practice amp. What you have me curious about is the clover pre. Would that box give me something significantly different than a dirty tree, 805 or the other TS style boosts? The clover seems like it would be pretty versatile but I’m wondering about the secret sauce. Is it a more versatile tone shaper than these other boxes with BMT controls? Thanks!

The clover isn’t a boost. It’s a clean preamp. So basically an EQ that has a little bit of flavor. For reference, it’s based on the pedal that gives The Edge his special sauce in front of an AC30. Watch the JHS video about it. Josh goes really in depth about the history of the design and why it’s cool. Can’t find the video, but the original pedal was the Boss FA-1. The clover is cool because it has three modes, no EQ and just clean volume, OG with just bass and treble adjustments, and the JHS which has a mid knob added. On the side the a bass cut switch to shelve off low end, and there’s an XLR out if you run want to run an acoustic or bass direct to board. Aside from that, it just sounds good. I use it for my 8 to carve off the lows because I don’t like changing the interplay between pickup and and input stage of an amp. I find boosting flattens the dynamics too much, and I can’t vary my pick attack for different textures when I want to. So I don’t use a boost to tighten. I use an EQ or clean preamp set to unity. If I want more gain or more compression, then I’ll boost. Or switch channels. So that’s why the Clover…

BigViolin

...---...
Reaction score
Theon, thanks a ton for the detailed reply. You described that better than any ad copy. End user, real world, thanks!

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
Nice tone! Surprise how great that sounds.

The TH30 has some pretty good sounds. It’s great at approximating a sound. The trick with this amp with any guitar in my opinion is to pull the bass almost all the way out. There’s too much low end built into these amps to compensate for the low watts and small speakers. So bass is set to like…. 3? 3.5? I use this setting regardless of guitar.

But the real factor here is the guitar. The scale length, the pickups being pretty bright, and the pickup placement makes it sound good through anything. It has a TON of lows. Round but still tight.

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
Theon, thanks a ton for the detailed reply. You described that better than any ad copy. End user, real world, thanks!

Sure thing man. The real world is more important than any copy. Copy is marketing and double speak. It rarely gives you the real world use case.