Right hand nails and tapping

DanielKRego

Reaction score
Hello, I'm experiencing a sort of conflict of interests between two techniques that I really like the sound of and am attempting to master. Hybrid picking and two-hand tapping.

To get a clear and consistent tone with hybrid picking, I grew the nails on the middle and ring fingers of my right hand. But that comes in the way of tapping sequences that require the middle and ring fingers, like many two-hand tapping lines. I end up hitting the string with my nail instead of the flesh of my finger often, and it sounds very inconsistent and sloppy.

Anyone here with a similar problem and/or suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Perhaps switch to finger picks for hybrid picking, or progressively start trimming your nails on your picking hand till they reach a length that works for both playing methods.

Take a look at whatever Johnny Hiland does, as I know he uses both techniques.

hutchman

El' Lamo
Reaction score
I'm sure there is a way to do both. I can't do either so I can't really say what.
However I have met two really fantastic hybrid pickers (Brett Garsed and Joe Haley) and they definitely don't have long finger nails and freakin nail that shit. Brett in particular (he can also tap like a sonofabitch). So maybe just cut the nails....????

DanielKRego

Reaction score
I'm sure there is a way to do both. I can't do either so I can't really say what.
However I have met two really fantastic hybrid pickers (Brett Garsed and Joe Haley) and they definitely don't have long finger nails and freakin nail that shit. Brett in particular (he can also tap like a sonofabitch). So maybe just cut the nails....????

I've been studying Brett's instructional DVD Rock Guitar Improvisation, and he mentions that he's grown his nails on his right hand for hybrid picking, but that it isn't mandatory. But I seem to prefer the tone I get from fingernails.

Perhaps it's a choice between trying to find a perfect nail length that allows both hybrid picking and tapping, or developing calluses on the right hand finger tips to emulate the crisper tone of fingernails.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
I find that fingers where the nail shows slightly past the tip still work when tapping if you angle back a small bit. I hybrid pick, and play finger style bass as well as tap on both. It can be tricky but there is a length that works.

scottro202

I'm walkin' here!!!
Reaction score
When it comes to hybrid picking, I just use my fingers, I never had the desire to grow my nails out, it feels icky to me.

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
I attack the string(s) at slightly different angles for either fingernail picking or tapping. It does take a little more work to maintain that perfect length, but it gets easier to play with variation in nail length over time.

Latest posts