Ringing noise on low B string

• Thread starter tw54674
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tw54674

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hello, I wanted to see if anyone knows what might be the issue here. I have a EBMM JPXI-7 with 10-56 Slinkys on it, B standard tuning, and I’m getting a ringing sound whenever I palm mute on the low B string. It isn’t there on any other string or if I fret a note on low B, only the open string with palm mutes. If I really choke down on the string in a way that alters the intended sound of the palm mute and bring my picking hand closer to the neck, I can get it to quiet down occasionally.

I’ve linked a clip if anyone wants to take a listen. I also play the E string in the clip to show how the problem goes away on any other string.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/ty8c...oise.wav?rlkey=k6zztdim6ufjnehkaksofzzq1&dl=0

Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jonnysleftfoot

Reaction score
Hello, I wanted to see if anyone knows what might be the issue here. I have a EBMM JPXI-7 with 10-56 Slinkys on it, B standard tuning, and I’m getting a ringing sound whenever I palm mute on the low B string. It isn’t there on any other string or if I fret a note on low B, only the open string with palm mutes. If I really choke down on the string in a way that alters the intended sound of the palm mute and bring my picking hand closer to the neck, I can get it to quiet down occasionally.

I’ve linked a clip if anyone wants to take a listen. I also play the E string in the clip to show how the problem goes away on any other string.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/ty8c...oise.wav?rlkey=k6zztdim6ufjnehkaksofzzq1&dl=0

Thanks!
If you’ve muted the strings behind the nut and muted the springs in the back, I would try putting some heat shrink on the ball end of the low b string. Make sure that there isn’t heat shrink extending past where the string leaves the saddle.

Jonnysleftfoot

Reaction score
It should look a little something like this:
IMG_0899 Large.jpeg
I don't think it needs to be right up against the saddle. I have a similar issue on my other guitars, and on some there is a bit of string showing after it leaves the heat shrink and makes contact with the saddle.

tw54674

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thank you for that suggestion. I haven't heard about doing that so I'll need to look into it and give it a try. Also, yes I forgot to mention that I am using a Fretwrap to mute the strings behind the nut and some material to mute the springs in the back as well already.

jephjacques

BUTTS LOL
Reaction score
Try a different string, see if the problem persists. Sometimes you just get a bum string.

Baelzebeard

Grinder of strings
Reaction score
Two possibilities come to mind.

If it goes away when you fret a note on that string I think it might be the nut/slot is too low and it is just barely pinging on the first fret.

Is it a locking nut? I have had a weird problem on a locking nut (ringing noise open string) thatbwas remedied by putting a tiny piece of paper under the offending string. I think it must have been bouncing against the nut between the edge of the locking pad and the edge of the bottom of the nut. The paper damped the noise.