RIP Gary Rossington

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score

All the original members of Skynyrd are now gone. He at least knew he was on his way out, though.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
RIP Gary

A huge part of my guitar journey, one of the reasons I play an SG and the entire reason I suck at slide guitar.

ArtDecade

Barking Pumpkin
Reaction score
He played on a lot of classic tracks that keep plenty of bar bands employed. Thanks for the tunes, mate!

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
The first generation of classic rock and metal artists are getting old. That's all there is to it.

People being in their 20s in the 60s and 70s are now in their 70s and 80s. That's when people start dying.
Yeah, also Gary's had health issues for years pertaining to his heart. Also keep in mind the dude survived *that* goddamn plane crash, so the dude's been on borrowed time for over half his life.

Also, Skynyrd's kinda treated like a joke, but man they knew how to write a catchy song. Feel like they never got enough credit for pioneer multiple lead guitarists in rock music as well... Simple Man is still one of my favorite solos ever. King, Rossington, and Collins were a fucking force.

Xiphos68

Reaction score
It's a shame Skynyrd is treated like a joke. They were pioneers in every way and all of our heroes likely loved them based on those who cite influence.
They would have been huge even now if they had all survived.

Great sadness that the last survivor of the original band is gone. It's a miracle he lived this long, thank you Gary for everything. God be with your family, friends and fans.

ArtDecade

Barking Pumpkin
Reaction score
Are Skynyrd treated like a joke? Down South, they are royalty.

BenjaminW

Reaction score
There are redneck funerals closed out to Freebird down here.
That kinda sounds dope not gonna lie.

The first couple of times I heard the intro to Simple Man, I always thought it was a Guns N’ Roses song and for whatever reason couldn’t believe it was a Skynyrd song. Gary’s solo fucking rips like no other.

Xiphos68

Reaction score
I can't tell how many times I've heard a Skynyrd song butchered down here. It's endless.

Thank goodness no one plays "Free Bird." My heart couldn't take it.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
Looking through the credits, it looks like he was a co-writer for my favorite Skynyrd song, Mr. Banker. Didn't play on it, though.

Opion

Sir Mattafer
Reaction score
Yeah, d
I can't tell how many times I've heard a Skynyrd song butchered down here. It's endless.

Thank goodness no one plays "Free Bird." My heart couldn't take it.

There’s a local band here where I’m from and they’re all 14-16 years old, play tons of southern rock covers, and honestly look the part - long hair, bell bottoms, Les Pauls. Someone yelled out Freebird and they said, “You sure?” “Yeah!” “OK!” And proceeded to play the whole version, 9 minutes long.

I like to think that they’re so young they don’t even know that that’s a joke and they just so happened to know the whole song.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
I kind of prefer Molly Hatchet, Blackfoot, and Allman Brothers Band, but I've never really given Lynyrd Skynyrd a deep dive listen. I'll probably have to change that at some point.

RIP Gary.

Xiphos68

Reaction score
Yeah, d

There’s a local band here where I’m from and they’re all 14-16 years old, play tons of southern rock covers, and honestly look the part - long hair, bell bottoms, Les Pauls. Someone yelled out Freebird and they said, “You sure?” “Yeah!” “OK!” And proceeded to play the whole version, 9 minutes long.

I like to think that they’re so young they don’t even know that that’s a joke and they just so happened to know the whole song.
I love that in every way. That is hilarious. Hahaha

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
I kind of prefer Molly Hatchet, Blackfoot, and Allman Brothers Band, but I've never really given Lynyrd Skynyrd a deep dive listen. I'll probably have to change that at some point.

RIP Gary.

And let me introduce you to the best part of Skynyrd.

And with how influential Gary was on my guitar playing....it feels weird saying Steve Gaines was the best.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I really love Ed King. Dude didn't seem to get much love until he died, but he was a beast. If there's one thing that was great about the '87 reunion, it's Ed getting more time to shine since he had to do not only his old parts, but Collins' and Gaines' stuff