RIP Sam Ash. All stores closing

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
Sooner or later software will outpace any artistic endeavor that we humans have undertaken. Sure, there will be those people who prefer content made organically, but they will be in the minority. All of these artistic indulgences are set to become especially pointless for us personally. We're horse trainers about to get run over by the internal combustion engine. Imagine a synthesizer which can not only replace a whole band's collection of instruments, but also all of the creative impulses of that band.
Horseless carriages have been around for a long time, yet there are still plenty of horse farms... especially in the midwest. Driving west of Indianapolis last week I saw at least half a dozen driving to Terre Haute.

Is guitar, as a main instrument, declining? Yes, I could see an argument for that. But it isn't completely dying either.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
Horseless carriages have been around for a long time, yet there are still plenty of horse farms... especially in the midwest. Driving west of Indianapolis last week I saw at least half a dozen driving to Terre Haute.

Is guitar, as a main instrument, declining? Yes, I could see an argument for that. But it isn't completely dying either.
Yes, all of which I concede. I do think it's necessary to say that most horses are not kept for utility anymore, certainly not in the first world where they are in almost all cases simply things stood on hooves for display and fancy. I grew up on a farm, we didn't use those horses for shit and neither did the people who owned them. They didn't even ride. All of their owners used automobiles and motors for everything a horse could tangibly do.

I'm not a fan of throwing horses out, I do see their unique utility and appreciate it greatly, but the rest of the world presently does not unless you count the rapidly disappearing places on the Earth where it's a horse or nothing. Leaving that analogy behind, once it is logical as a path of least resistance for greatest reward to enjoy the arts by simply seeking out generated content, people will almost always do so that way and the traditional mechanisms of the past will exist almost entirely as vestigial examples. It doesn't matter how I feel about it, time marches on whether it's in the direction of my own advantage or not. One day kids will think physical instruments are largely for the wealthy, pedantic, and nostalgic.

Or we blow this whole place to Christ and back because of economic and geographic squabbles. It's anyone's game at this point, but I think the most viable inference regarding the rise of AI and technology in regard to art is pretty obvious.

CleansingCarnage

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
One thing robots can't do, yet anyway, is live music. That and merchandising are the only way artists can make a modicum of a living these days anyway, so I don't see more niche scenes dying out in the immediate future, because they're already niche and AI generated content isn't going to change that, or replace those artists for the relatively small number of people who actually care about that type of music. Perhaps in the way that there are still equestrian enthusiasts and communities that do shows and competitions, although preferably without the image and cost associated with that.

In terms of "industrial scale" music, the writing probably is on the wall. Particularly because the music industry is already flailing and companies would jump at the chance to cut out anyone they have to pay other than themselves. However, the one saving grace, at least with the technology as it stands, is that AI models can't be truly creative and all they can really do is aggregate other content. Given enough time as the primary content producers, AI models will inevitably start being trained on AI generated content, in which case their output will be severely tainted and it will begin a cascade of incoherence and bad results. So it's possible that purely AI generated content has a definite cultural lifespan and it won't be sustainable in the long term.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
Yes, all of which I concede. I do think it's necessary to say that most horses are not kept for utility anymore, certainly not in the first world where they are in almost all cases simply things stood on hooves for display and fancy. I grew up on a farm, we didn't use those horses for shit and neither did the people who owned them. They didn't even ride. All of their owners used automobiles and motors for everything a horse could tangibly do.

I'm not a fan of throwing horses out, I do see their unique utility and appreciate it greatly, but the rest of the world presently does not unless you count the rapidly disappearing places on the Earth where it's a horse or nothing. Leaving that analogy behind, once it is logical as a path of least resistance for greatest reward to enjoy the arts by simply seeking out generated content, people will almost always do so that way and the traditional mechanisms of the past will exist almost entirely as vestigial examples. It doesn't matter how I feel about it, time marches on whether it's in the direction of my own advantage or not. One day kids will think physical instruments are largely for the wealthy, pedantic, and nostalgic.
That makes sense. I know harpsicords exist, but couldn't note the last time I saw one in person or heard one on a pop music recording. It is feasible that in a century or two, guitars will be known as "traditional folk instruments" and all of the seven & eight stringers that were cutting edge during our lifetimes will be footnotes in "The history of western music" reference books. Fortunately, that type of movement goes with generations, so I think that we'll still see guitars, basses, all the stuff that goes into rock & metal, as still being around for at least a few decades.