Rivers of Nihil: Where owls know my name

• Thread starter BusinessMan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
That song is so awesome. I love how they have progressed, I really enjoyed Monarchy, so I can't wait to hear the rest of this one.

Lasik124

Reaction score
Cool stuff!

I must say though, am I the only one who dislikes this trend of modern drum production? Sounds like a drum machine to me, especially on the tom rolls.

KailM

Reaction score
Cool stuff!

I must say though, am I the only one who dislikes this trend of modern drum production? Sounds like a drum machine to me, especially on the tom rolls.

I notice it most on the kick. Way too clicky. Like Fenriz of Darkthrone would say, it sounds like someone clattering away on an old-fashioned typewriter. Though I prefer more natural sounding drums, it doesn't really bother me if the songs are good. I don't care for the guitar tone on this either though...:lol:

rahnvu

Reaction score
It fits the sound of the band, but on a whole i agree. Even though i'm guilty of always overproducing drums myself.

Stoked for this record, i love that they somehow sound fresh and different in a good way compared to their peers.

BusinessMan

Reaction score
I think it sounds great. I don't mind if the instruments are overproduced so long as they sound good to my ears. Another thing I've always enjoyed about rivers of nihil are their guitar tones. It's heavy without being over saturated with gain compared to a ton of other bands. I'm excited for this album

rexbinary

The MOD King!
Reaction score
Just scored tickets to see them in April! I've never seen them live. I can't wait!

DF-TIAM-TOUR-WEB-DATES_preview.jpeg

Ebony

Signal purist
Reaction score
Apart from the segment at 2:44 to 4:19, I absolutely love "The Silent Life".

About the drum production, I have no issue with the bass drum, but I think the tom sound is unecessarily plasticy. I also hate the snare sound, but that goes for Monarchy aswell. Way too low and fat for this kind of music, imo.

The thing about the bass drum...at this kind of speed you have three options:

1. Natural sound with little to no muffling. It will sound like porridge and everyone will laugh at how horrible it sounds except maybe Fenriz (a man who's deepest desire is to be permalocked in 1987 and listen to Bulldozer demos whilst being drunk).

2. Muffle to hell and back+process. Will sound like a semi-dead, plasticy thud (because it is a semi-dead, plasticy thud). The drum shell is acting more like a vessel at this point. This is the modern standard. Will still be quite mushy at super-speed.

3. Trigger+eventually blended with option number 2.

Demanding truly organic bass drum-sounds at 200bpm 32th notes is like asking a tuba-player to play violin parts by Paganini.

Last edited: