Rocktron V300 and cab combo

mcdj0nt

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am very new to multiple piece guitar rigs and have decided to delve into experimenting with a rack setup. I just purchased a used Rocktron V300 off of ebay and am using it with my Line 6 PODHD500. My setup runs as follows: Guitar into POD, POD XLR out into Rocktron V300 1/4 in, Rocktron 1/4 out into and 8 ohm cab. This 8 ohm cab in this instance was a friends Marshall VS412. This is the only cab i have tried this setup with and I could not escape a constant hum that would increase as I would increase the volume of the power amp. Is this the cab? My amp? My cable setup? Thanks for your time

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sage

twerk twerk thall
Reaction score
Might be the XLR to 1/4" cable. If there is no balanced/unbalanced transformer in there, it can cause a bunch of hum. You'd probably be better off to use a regular patch cable out of the unbalanced output into the V300. The cab shouldn't cause hum. Generally, the pre-amp causes the hum, the power amp make is louder, and the speakers move back and forth really fast to move the air in such a way that your ears can experience the hum.

So, yeah. Try switching the cable first. I think that's most likely the problem.

sage

twerk twerk thall
Reaction score
I am running a pod hd500 into a rocktron velocity 300. Then the 300 into a cab. The rocktron power amp operates at 8 ohms and I have tried this setup with two different cabs, a Marshall vs412 and a peavey 4x12 (can't remember peavey model) both set ups have resulted in a very loud humming noise when I turn the volume of my power amp up. My power amp was purchased used and I did notice the fan does not come on when I turn the power amp on. Is this a problem with the amp? My pod? My cables? Please help as I am very new to rack set ups.

Hey, try keeping this a single thread. It makes things easier to follow for all of us.

The fan in the V300 only comes on when it senses an imminent overheating problem. It doesn't run continuously. I kinda wish it did, but I didn't get to design the thing.

Change that XLR to 1/4" cable, damn it, and report back with your results.

mcdj0nt

Reaction score
I'm sorry I'll keep it here. I will change that cable tomorrow and see what I can do. Any specs on the cable?

sage

twerk twerk thall
Reaction score
There are two types of XLR to 1/4" cables. One has a transformer that changes the signal from balanced to unbalanced. The other does not. Using a cable without that transformer can invite a bunch of hum.

That being said, it could also be your power. We just moved to a new rehearsal space and all of our amps are noisy where they really weren't in the old place. It's pretty bad. I don't know what we can do about it, but something has to happen.

mcdj0nt

Reaction score
And I do have a line 6 75 watt spider combo amp. Is there anyway I can bypass the preamp on that amp to test if it is my pedal?

mcdj0nt

Reaction score
ive heard that something called a power conditioner or power regulator can help clean up your sound. A brand called Furmer i think makes nice ones.

mcdj0nt

Reaction score
I figured it out! it was my XLR out. I had the switch switched to "LiFT" and it needed to be grounded.... bye bye hum. now that Rocktrons all mounted in the rack and ready to jam. one more question about rackmounts tho. My amp is just held in there by the 4 mounting screws. it is floating like a half inch above the base of the inside of the rack. is it supposed to be sitting inside of it? and not floating?

sage

twerk twerk thall
Reaction score
Rack units are designed to be able to be held with just the front screws or with a small bracket that can be attached to a rear rail if the item is super heavy. The V300 doesn't come with a rear rail option. I had mine loaded by the front with zero issues.

Elric

Reaction score
I figured it out! it was my XLR out. I had the switch switched to "LiFT" and it needed to be grounded.... bye bye hum. now that Rocktrons all mounted in the rack and ready to jam. one more question about rackmounts tho. My amp is just held in there by the 4 mounting screws. it is floating like a half inch above the base of the inside of the rack. is it supposed to be sitting inside of it? and not floating?

Rack units are so awesome that they are not affected by gravity in the same way as normal gear.

ERGaddict

Reaction score
I was thinking about going for a similar setup, but I haven't decided on a cab yet. Would it be insane to use an Orange 120W 2x12 with V30's in it? I dont really know much about pairing amps with speakers