Rosewood neck Raw or Teak Oil finish?

• Thread starter Ribboz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Raw or Teak Oil?

• Raw

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • Teak Oil

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

Ribboz

Enjoy
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm getting a rosewood neck. First time trying one. Should I leave it raw or put a teak oil finish on it?

My last roasted maple neck had teak oil and it felt pretty nice. But I've heard rosewood necks naturally feel great.

Long term which do you feel would be the better option?

Thank you.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
Keep in mind that most teak oil is a catalyzed blended finish of linseed oil and varnish, just like most tung oil finishes (which rarely even have much if any tung oil in them).

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
Dalbergias are generally naturally oily and don't really need an oil finish. That said if you do go that route, you can always coat it in an oil finish at a later time if you need/want to.

John

New album out now: https://goo.gl/PdPVYh
Reaction score
Rosewood doesn't need a finish. But it can still take finish fine, just the same, if you so choose to go that route.

shadscbr

Reaction score
I have a raw BRW neck 7 string custom, and I can tell you, you will never forgive yourself if you artificially seal in all that natural goodness. That's coming from an overall standpoint of feel, playability, and aroma...best of Luck!