Running POD XTL live

• Thread starter KristapsCoCoo
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KristapsCoCoo

Reaction score
Hey!

I've used my POD XT Live both at home and live mainly for high-gain tones for some time, but I'm not quite satisfied with my live sound.

So I would like to ask which of these setups could work the best in live setup, keeping in mind that I want the POD to go straight in to the PA.

1. Running POD trought monitors for stage sound and sending direct signal to PA for actuall sound in venue. But I'm worried the sound in venue would be thin.
Does running POD throught active monitors and THEN to PA would actually enchance sound and would it be option?

2. Running POD trought poweramp and sending direct signal to PA and using whatever for stage sound.

So basicaly I'm asking what is the best way to run POD DI if I'm using some monitors for stage sound?

I've done my research, but still I've not come to conclusion of witch option would be best.

Thanks in advance!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
I had an XT Live for 8 years and sent it to FOH and got some sent back to me to monitor through our Aviom system. Even now that I've upgraded to the HD500X, I still use it the same way.

If yours sounds thin in FOH, then it's probably thin in general. Work with your tech to tweak a bank of presets specifically for use live.

Bare in mind that these are meant to work within the context of a mix, so even if it isn't ideal for you when listening to yourself by yourself, the objective band mix is what you're going for.

KristapsCoCoo

Reaction score
If yours sounds thin in FOH, then it's probably thin in general. Work with your tech to tweak a bank of presets specifically for use live.

I use this tone + a little bit different EQ live.

https://soundcloud.com/kristapsmelderis/pod-xt-live-test_1-1

I'm pretty satisfied with my tone and it sounds about right to me, but I'm just afraid that it won't be as good sounding direct in to the PA and I'm not quite willing to use it that way until i'm shure it will work good...

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
What do you mean by running through active monitors and then a PA? Do you mean micing up the monitor? Don't do that. That's silly. If you're going to use a mic, then get a real cab. It will sound much better than the cab sims in the POD. I used my X3L with a tube power amp and a real cab, and it sounded massive.

KristapsCoCoo

Reaction score
What do you mean by running through active monitors and then a PA? Do you mean micing up the monitor? Don't do that. That's silly. If you're going to use a mic, then get a real cab. It will sound much better than the cab sims in the POD. I used my X3L with a tube power amp and a real cab, and it sounded massive.

No, I meant using it only for monitoring and stage sound.

I don't like using cab's at gigs because I don't own my own rig, so I have to use different setups in different venues, as there is rig's already in most venues in my country. So it's hard for me to get decent sound everywhere.

I'm looking for solution that don't involves micing cab, but running direct like something I could put between POD and between PA, that would give it that amp/cab effect.

Is putting poweramp in between POD and PA is stupid idea?

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
the PA/monitor will typically have its own power amp built into it. Running a guitar power amp into that would be a bad idea. There's not much that you can put between the POD and the power amp to make it sound better. Maybe a more flexible EQ. Maybe try to upgrade to a POD HD.

Latest posts