Rusty Cooley's Conklin 9 string on ebay!!!

• Thread starter dpm
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Drew said:
"for a bolt-on?" I've never understood the argument that bolt ons are somehow "inferior" to set necks - I mean, sure it's probably easier to make a cheap bolt on than a cheap set neck, but once you get beyond a certain level of craftsmanship, Id actually imagine a good bolt-on is harder to execute than a set neck, in that your routing and shaping has to be 110% spot on, or it'll really show.

Exactly. Depending on exactly how you execute the set neck a really accurate bolt on can be trickier.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Got pics? :D

A girl who'll whore herself out to support your guitar habit? Not bad... :) I girl I was kinda dating/screwing around with one for a while who once offered to deal crack to buy me more gutiars, but I think she may have been kidding.

-D

Donnie

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Drew said:
Got pics? :D

Yeah, but she'd kill me if showed you. :p (no, not those kind of pics :nono: Those are on my computer which is not an internet computer) :lol:

Yeah, it's cool when chicks understand the gear addiction.
For example, I was a little nervous to tell my girlfriend about when I ordered the 2nd JP7. She just told me, "Well, you got to have a back up one, right?" And she firmly believes in buying the best, quality, tools of the trade.

XEN

BEYOND 6UITAR & B4SS
Contributor
Reaction score
Hey Drew!
This is weird... I had asked Rusty About that guitar just a short while back. I asked him how much he paid for it and at the time he told me "artist prices". A brand new 9 string from Conklin is like Right around $5000 for a guitar just like that one, and that's the price us "non-artists" pay. If Rusty sells this for $8000, and I don't doubt that he will, he'll be profiting by about $4000-$5000 on it! Enough to buy another one just like it and get his money back!

Nice guitar, but $8000 for something he just bought?? Nah. I'd rather pay 1/4 of that to Michael Dolan and get as good an instrument without any "artist" fingerprints all over it!

7StringofAblicK

Contributor
Reaction score
My girl would buy me a car if I quit the guitar...that's love for you...women, all they are good for is cleaning, cookin' and sex lol

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
You forgot "a reason to drink" ;)

My roommate's been a f'in GODSEND but she thinks more like a guy than I do, so she actually makes sense to me. Besides, I love to cook and she raves about whatever I cook her and then does the cleaning - it's a good relationship. The rest of 'em, however, have me absolutely lost.

-D

Matt

Some random dude
Reaction score
Back to the guitar, it looks like no-one could afford it. Poor Rusty is stuck with it.

Allen Garrow

Famous Beaver Hunter
Reaction score
Not to ask the obvious,,,but.... has anyone asked Rusty why he's selling it? I've thought about but figured he has probably been asked at least a hundred times. I'm not on a name to name with him,,,but everytime I've ever emailed him with questions he's always replied within 24 hours or so. He seems pretty open and obtainable.
Just a thought....

~A

Matt

Some random dude
Reaction score
I was wondering that myself. It seems strange that he didn't say why on his website, just said that it was for sale.

Kevan

Forum MVP
Reaction score
RG7420EMG said:
A little off topic, but I asked Rusty a while back if he knew any guitar instructors in my area and he pointed me in the way of Tony Smotherman. I don't think that he plays a 7, but if you havent heard him check him out, he's pretty damn good. I start lessons with him on May 2nd. He's good enough for me to drive about 2 hours for lessons.
Incredible player, and yes- he does some 7-string stuff.

I first met Tony at Jemfest 2002. He came down and hung out with us, salivating while waiting for the Jemfest Jam, where folks can hop up on stage with the artists and crank out a tune or two. Tony decided he wanted to take on Rusty.
*beep*beep*beep*beep* Hear that? It's the dumptruck backing up to the venue with Tony's balls in it.
He hopped up there, dropped some stuff that had Rusty doing "The Spock eyebrow". They did some fun little headcutting- back and forth for about 5 minutes- while the rest of us watched in shock. Rusty let him hang for a while, then dropped the hammer. I've never seen/heard anything like it. Imagine a Cacophony album at 78rpm. :) After that torrent of notes from Rusty, Tony volume'd down and handed the guitar off to the next victim.
We were so impressed, we invited him to play the following year. He's been back a few times since, and will be playing in 2005 as well.

As far as the 9-string goes: I haven't spoken with Rusty in a while, but if he's selling it, I'm sure there's a good reason. Unlike *some* artists, Rusty's not out to rape his fans wallets. Next time I speak with him, I'll see if I can get the details.

Oh- and the bolt-on thing: Compare the craftsmanship of a Conklin to your average $500 bolt-on guitar. You'll see why Drew says it's a non-issue.
P.S.- Clapton's "Blackie" (sold for almost $1,000,000) is a bolt-on.
:D

Donnie

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Looks like he relisted it, and a little cheaper too.
I'm low on funds for the moment but damn, I'm half tempted to go get a small loan. :p

Matt

Some random dude
Reaction score
RG7420EMG said:
I have sent the email asking why, and as soon as he responds I'll let all you guys know what he says.

Can you also ask him to put up a video of him shredding on the 9 before he sells it? :shred:
I was waiting for a video ever since he got it.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Kevan said:
After that torrent of notes from Rusty, Tony volume'd down and handed the guitar off to the next victim.
We were so impressed, we invited him to play the following year. He's been back a few times since, and will be playing in 2005 as well.

That's about the only time you can have your ass handed to you in a head-cutting contest, and still not look like an idiot. :lol:

-D

Bastard Toadflax

Change is on the way...
Reaction score
He responded saying "It's non music related." I'm thinking it has something to do with the whole Ibanez thing, but I could be completely wrong. I'll email him now and tell him that we want to see him shred it up before he sells it.

jim777

Seen all good people
Forum MVP
Reaction score
The Ibanez thing is possible. When he first posted on Jemsite that he got the Ibanez deal, he also said they wouldn't make him an 8, as they didn't do 8's. And then (as my daughter Aoife loves to say) 'lo and behold', Mesh has Ibanez 8's. Maybe Ibanez is doing right by Rusty and making something comparable for him. I'm only thinking out loud, though.

jim

Bastard Toadflax

Change is on the way...
Reaction score
I saw something about ss.org hosting a video?? If Rusty does one with the nine and doesnt put it up on his site, I told him he can just send it to me. Can you guys host something like that here? Of course I'm running that by Rusty first.*ahem*...Chris...*ahem*