S Steel frets kill my string

• Thread starter Tachy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Tachy

Reaction score
I have a fanned 8 string guitar with ss frets, the freta are polished and they are perfect, but after playing one our with fresh string I noticed that I can t do bends with the F# and with the B string ( they are ghs 10-80 ) becouse the big wound string loose the nikel wound really fast ... and when do bendings i feel a strong grip ... I don t know what to do .... any suggestion are welcome

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

WiseSplinter

Reaction score
Wow, that is pretty strange. Maybe a bad batch of strings? How long have you had them for?

SS frets do wear down the strings a bit faster than a softer wire fret, but we're talking hours and hours of playing before it becomes noticeable, and certainly a long time before the winding starts coming off I would think.

thraxil

cylon
Reaction score
Yeah, I would suspect the strings before the frets. I've played guitars with SS frets for many years and never noticed a negative effect on the strings compared to guitars with regular frets.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
In my experience guitar strings last longer on SS frets. There is a noticeable difference on two guitars I've had re-fretted. Unless the frets haven't been polished properly then the roughness will always wear away the strings first, they need to be really well polished so this doesn't happen.

Sounds like a bad batch of strings. Also have you cleaned and oiled your fretboard recently?

Tachy

Reaction score
Yes ... I clean always the freatboard and the put oil ... the strange thing is that I have changed 3 set of strings with a bad result... after one hour of playin the grip is coming and it change position ... sometimes in the first fret sometimes in the second ... sometimes in the low f# and sometimes in the B string ... tryed daddario and ghs ... tue frets are polished perfectly ...

KR250

Build addict
Reaction score
Is the nut slotted wide enough for the strings? Just wondering if maybe the lack of bending is coming from the string binding in the nut groove instead.

Tachy

Reaction score
Is the nut slotted wide enough for the strings? Just wondering if maybe the lack of bending is coming from the string binding in the nut groove instead.
Sorry ... do you mean the “ capotasto “ in italian ...?

Tachy

Reaction score
Ok... the nut ia a graph tech , and its not wide , really perfect to the size of the strings... is the fanned frets probably that made this grip ? And also what brand of strings do you use with s steel frets?

chopeth

Reaction score
I use the same brand with SS frets or regular niquel ones, I don't feel any difference concerning to strings, maybe the durability is longer with SS opposed to logic as someone mentioned, I agree.

Tachy

Reaction score
I use the same brand with SS frets or regular niquel ones, I don't feel any difference concerning to strings, maybe the durability is longer with SS opposed to logic as someone mentioned, I agree.
So your string with ss fret have a longher life innyour case ... opposite to mine... I also see micro pieces of metal in the freatbord of the guitar and the string in congiuntion of the frets are fucked ...

Tachy

Reaction score
In your opinion I must polish the frets again?

Mr_Mar10

*space for hire*
Reaction score
Are you grinding the strings against the frets??
Try playing with a lighter touch..,
Some pics may help, I’ve never heard of strings deteriorating within hours :\

Tachy

Reaction score
Are you grinding the strings against the frets??
Try playing with a lighter touch..,
Some pics may help, I’ve never heard of strings deteriorating within hours :\
Hahhaha no ... I only do some false harmonics with low strings... I have a quite hard touch with de right hand non the left ....

Petar Bogdanov

Reaction score
If your frets aren't polished properly, they can act like a file. Can you take some close-up photos?

Tachy

Reaction score
Yes I can take photos ...I will post it really soon

Bearitone

Reaction score
Hey, sorry to hear about your fret problem on a brand new guitar.
Whats the scale of the fan? When I jumped to a longer scale I broke the high strings once or twice

Tachy

Reaction score
Hey, sorry to hear about your fret problem on a brand new guitar.
Whats the scale of the fan? When I jumped to a longer scale I broke the high strings once or twice
The scale is 27 to 25.5 ...not to extreme...today I will try to polish the frets again

Tachy

Reaction score
Removing the strings and findnin the first fret some scratches ... using different abrasive paper to remove them easily... finishing the frets with a 3000 ... then polishing with a dremel ... everything looks so perfectly awesome... put the string and try it... after some minutes the problem return again!! I used the Sintom s steel frets .. now I start to think thers some problem or defected frets..

jwade

Doooooooooom
Reaction score
Maybe there's an issue with your tuners? I know a few guys who had defective tuners that had sharp/rough edges on the hole the strings pass through, and it caused the lower strings to unravel a bit.