Satin finish on a Schecter Jeff Loomis getting glossier

• Thread starter AryaBara
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AryaBara

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I recently purchased a used Schecter Jeff Loomis. Mint condition, sounds good, the satin finish is great. I play it everyday. :shred:
It's been a week and turns out the satin finish is getting glossier where my hand is supporting.
Is that normal? and can I make it satin again?

Here's the pic

First spot
glos1.jpg

Second spot
glos2f.jpg

zoom out
glosi.jpg

zoom out (with flash)
glosflash.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MBMoreno

Reaction score
It's pretty normal with satin finishes. I have guitar with a similar finish that has the same problem - where my arm rests, my clothing has polished it.

Making it look like the rest of the guitar isn't easy. The best way I can thing of is "sanding" the whole guitar with super fine tipe of steel wool or something, similar to what is done in gloss necks to make them faster

User Name

Banned
Reaction score
take some very very fine grade steal wool to it. and gently rub it. thats what i do when that starts to happen if i have a satin finished guitar. usually it can rub it right out.

GuitaristOfHell

The Optimist Prime.
Reaction score
use 0000 steel wool. I did that to my gloss neck and made it Satin. Only thing that sucks is you have to re-do it if you play a lot.

TheBloodstained

Casual music entusiast
Reaction score
It adds character to the instrument :)

As long as it isn't big chips in the finish/wood I wouldn't worry about it. My C7 Loomis has a few glossy spots itself. Just shows that you play your guitar ;)

Dawn of the Shred

Member Since 2012
Reaction score
Its satin thats what happens kinda suck but always happen. My flat black guitar hasent started doing it yet so im lucky so far.

HurrDurr

Lord of all Things
Reaction score
I heard all you have to do is clean it to get all the sweat and oil off from those areas that are getting shiny. I don't remember what exactly to use, but I remember seeing the same technique talked about here on this site as well.

Danukenator

Kane's Bane
Reaction score
I have a Warmoth neck that turns from satin to gloss after a little while. It's just the result of your hand acting like a super fine abrasive and polishing the guitar.

teamSKDM

Reaction score
Unless you're selling it I wouldn't touch it. Don't want to rub through the finish from having to.trem sand it all the time.

AryaBara

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Big thankss guys :wub:

What if I sandpaper it?
Also, what kind of steel wool would you guys recommend? Which one should I choose?

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
Sandpaper will ruin it. Don't do that. There's no particular brand of steel wool required. It just has to be super fine grit, like 0000.

GuitaristOfHell

The Optimist Prime.
Reaction score
Sandpaper will ruin it. Don't do that. There's no particular brand of steel wool required. It just has to be super fine grit, like 0000.
Yeah, it can take the finish off. You in theory could but you would use EXTREMELY FINE sand paper. Absolutely nothing below 300.

User Name

Banned
Reaction score
when i clean my fret board i use like 1000 grit sandpaper. i believe they make it all the way up to 4000, but really man at that point its just fucking paper.

Latest posts