Satin/Matte (White) Finish Guitars + Wear

HolographicUniverse

Reaction score
Hi all,

Really getting into satin/matte finish guitars at the moment, seriously considering a pearlescent white satin guitar for a custom build.
Was curious to see how satin white wears after several years of use. Would love to see any photos of satin white guitars which have a bit of wear, shine, or marks. The JBM10FX has the exact finish I'm after so was wondering if there's anyone here who has an old one!

Also feel free to turn this into a satin/matte finish appreciation thread! Colours other than white are welcomed :)

Thanks in advance!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AJS

Reaction score
My KM-7 that I got when it came out 7 years ago eventually became a pale yellowish. I also use it all the time as my main, so that's probably what you can expect.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
Hi all,

Really getting into satin/matte finish guitars at the moment, seriously considering a pearlescent white satin guitar for a custom build.
Was curious to see how satin white wears after several years of use. Would love to see any photos of satin white guitars which have a bit of wear, shine, or marks. The JBM10FX has the exact finish I'm after so was wondering if there's anyone here who has an old one!

Also feel free to turn this into a satin/matte finish appreciation thread! Colours other than white are welcomed :)

Thanks in advance!

FYI, pearlescent paints under a satin clear finish can look dingy right of the bad. The pearlescent shimmer depends on light being reflected uniformly to show uniform-ish colors, but the satin finish diffuses the light enough that instead of having one area that's shining light green, subtly transitioning to a light pink, you sort of get blotchey overall pink and green television static.

Bdtunn

Reaction score
I’ve have a matte satin white finished custom shop kelly for about two years and it has zero wear what so ever

HolographicUniverse

Reaction score
FYI, pearlescent paints under a satin clear finish can look dingy right of the bad. The pearlescent shimmer depends on light being reflected uniformly to show uniform-ish colors, but the satin finish diffuses the light enough that instead of having one area that's shining light green, subtly transitioning to a light pink, you sort of get blotchey overall pink and green television static.
Interesting, thanks for the insight. Is this only with poorly finished pearlescent satin guitars? I've seen some really nice pearl satin finishes on cars, but that might be a completely different thing.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
Interesting, thanks for the insight. Is this only with poorly finished pearlescent satin guitars? I've seen some really nice pearl satin finishes on cars, but that might be a completely different thing.

Was the car an actual paint, or a wrap? I could see it working for a wrap, because the pearlescence is a part of the texture...sort of one-and-the-same. Not quite sure what else could affect it.

HolographicUniverse

Reaction score
Was the car an actual paint, or a wrap? I could see it working for a wrap, because the pearlescence is a part of the texture...sort of one-and-the-same. Not quite sure what else could affect it.
Possibly was a wrap, now that I think of it. Also did a google search for pearl white satin cars and the majority were wraps.

However, this McLaren cerulean blue satin is definitely a paintjob. While it isn't pearlescent (it looks metallic?) or white, it looks great as satin. I'm sure it's a complicated and expensive process though.
1eccacda3fba35b0fdafeefdc8cc45c6--cerulean-satin.jpg