SBMM JP70 vs Ibanez Prestige 1527?

Zomboir

Reaction score
Hello all, student loans are about to come in, so it's new guitar time. I'm looking for some advice on which to get of the two above: The Sterling JP70, or the Ibanez Prestige 1527. They're similarly-ish priced with the Ibanez being about £150 more expensive. I was really set on the JP70 until I watched a video about the tuning stability, and the guy was having a really hard time getting it to stay in tune after a dive bomb, even after greasing-up the nut.

Any players care to shed some light on this?

Which is the best buy of the two?

Cheers.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RevelGTR

Reaction score
RG1527 will be MUCH better quality, I'd go for that.

MoshJosh

Reaction score
my rg 1527 is in the mail so I can let you know how awesome it is when I get it also I think someone is selling one on here not sure the price but maybe you can get a good deal?

Zomboir

Reaction score
my rg 1527 is in the mail so I can let you know how awesome it is when I get it also I think someone is selling one on here not sure the price but maybe you can get a good deal?

I'm set on buying new, dude. I've had enough second-hand duffers in the past to have learned my lesson, haha. Cheers for the tip though.

Zerox8610

Reaction score
They no longer make the RG1527... so good luck getting it new.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
While the JP70 is an awesome guitar, it WILL need work out the door to make it play as good as it possibly can. The Prestige will undoubtedly have much better quality stock, you'll have to swap the pickups, and give it a setup at the most.

The trems on the RG1527, both the Edge Pro and the Edge Zero are incredibly stable and nice to use. So you won't have to worry about that much if at all, as opposed to the non locking trem and nut on the JP70.

If you're set on buying it new that's fine, but I do advise you to find a used one since they can got for MUCH cheaper than that, and more often than not it'll have aftermarket pickups already installed that will help with the Low B from being muddy.

Zomboir

Reaction score
While the JP70 is an awesome guitar, it WILL need work out the door to make it play as good as it possibly can. The Prestige will undoubtedly have much better quality stock, you'll have to swap the pickups, and give it a setup at the most.

The trems on the RG1527, both the Edge Pro and the Edge Zero are incredibly stable and nice to use. So you won't have to worry about that much if at all, as opposed to the non locking trem and nut on the JP70.

If you're set on buying it new that's fine, but I do advise you to find a used one since they can got for MUCH cheaper than that, and more often than not it'll have aftermarket pickups already installed that will help with the Low B from being muddy.

I've been offered one in decent condition with a crunchlab, liquifire and straplocks installed for £390 ($600), which is a good price going off UK guitar prices.

I'm definitely tempted to get that even though it's used.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
I'd do that, if it's in good shape that's definitely the better deal. But either way you're going to get a great guitar! Best of luck to you man!

Aris_T

Reaction score
The price for the JP70 is great (considering the pickup upgrade). I may be biased towards the 1527 (Japanese quality instrument, hard case, awesome neck), but a pickup swap is something that you'll most definitely need and this will raise the price.

If you have the extra coin go for the 1527.

DarthV

Reaction score
I had a Jp70 and really liked the neck, but it had an issue I wasn't happy about. The chain I bought from didn't have any more in their warehouse, so I returned it. I was very surprised at how the neck felt. For $629, it was one hell of a guitar. Even the stock pickups were pretty good. I ended up finding a used rg1527 for $500 and jumped on that. Looking at new prices, I'm not sure I'd buy the 1527 over a JP70. In almost every way, the RG is better. The JP70 is just that good of of a deal! Even more so if you go with the $550 Stealth.

progman

Reaction score
I don't know what this op ended up with, but I am in the pretty much in the same situation. I am either going with a jp70 or a used 1527. I can't find one new. GC Used site has a few in the 600-700$ range.

I specifically want to hear from people that have played both and want to know if the ibby is as easy to play as the 70. The 70 is so far the easiest to play 7 I have ever played. If the ibby is better in terms of quality, but not as easy to play, then I am just going with with the 70. Also, how much better is the ibby's trem?

decreebass

Business Secrets of the Pharoahs
Reaction score
Am I the only one who noticed dude said he was gonna pay for it with student loans?

DON'T DO IT!!! SAVE YOURSELF BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!!!!

*sigh - can't say I didn't do the same thing, regretfully. My vote is for the JP :)

Svava

Djento ergo sum
Reaction score
Loans are for something besides gear?!

AbuCarpetPic4.jpg

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
I've been offered one in decent condition with a crunchlab, liquifire and straplocks installed for £390 ($600), which is a good price going off UK guitar prices.

I'm definitely tempted to get that even though it's used.

I'd jump on that man. That's a great price. I dig my JP70, but it definitely need a little work out of the gate. if I could replace it with the old RG1527 I used to have, I'd probably jump at the chance.