scale length to accommodate high a for custom 7 string?

memu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hello! I'm planning on making a fanned fret 7 string tuned from E2 to A4. I plan to use an 8 gauge string for the high a, but am worried about snapping it trying to perform a whole step bend. How short on the treble side would you think would keep me clear of snapping on the high A? I was thinking a 22"-23.5" multiscale, but I'm hoping someone with more experience might be able help.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
22" is a pretty small scale length, generic for kids guitars. I say to go to a shop that has Ibanez MiKro guitars (22.2") and test if the hold the A4 tuned high string, which should be by factory a 0.010 gauge, as listed in Ibanez web site...

I imagine that you you go up to 23"/23.5" you could be safe with .009s tuned up to A4, which could give you the 25" or 25.5" for the E2 string without a crazy aggressive fan.

So, point is, test some kids guitars to see how far they go? Then decide on the path to go with your design.

Check this thread out: https://www.sevenstring.org/threads/tuning-with-a-high-a.260364/. I think there are more threads on this subject...

Paging @bostjan and @Winspear here for their insights on the subject...

vark

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hello! I'm planning on making a fanned fret 7 string tuned from E2 to A4. I plan to use an 8 gauge string for the high a, but am worried about snapping it trying to perform a whole step bend. How short on the treble side would you think would keep me clear of snapping on the high A? I was thinking a 22"-23.5" multiscale, but I'm hoping someone with more experience might be able help.
For high A i use the NYXL .007 on 24 inch scale and its a little tight but doesnt snap. I would say for your 7 go 22.5 -24 or 23 - 24.5(assuming you want to retain 1.5 inch fan)

Alternatively a 24 or 23 inch straight scale would work well too

memu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
22" is a pretty small scale length, generic for kids guitars. I say to go to a shop that has Ibanez MiKro guitars (22.2") and test if the hold the A4 tuned high string, which should be by factory a 0.010 gauge, as listed in Ibanez web site...

I imagine that you you go up to 23"/23.5" you could be safe with .009s tuned up to A4, which could give you the 25" or 25.5" for the E2 string without a crazy aggressive fan.

So, point is, test some kids guitars to see how far they go? Then decide on the path to go with your design.

Check this thread out: https://www.sevenstring.org/threads/tuning-with-a-high-a.260364/. I think there are more threads on this subject...

Paging @bostjan and @Winspear here for their insights on the subject...
Well 25.5" tuned to high G with .008 like on electric 12 strings is roughly the same as 22.5" tuned to with a high A.
I tried tuning a 25.5" with a .008 and got it to G#, but I wouldn't be confident that high.

I unfortunately don't have any shops around me because I live in the middle of nowhere. I'm hoping that a 22" scale will give me enough of a buffer so I don't have to worry about snapping it.

Reaction score
Well 25.5" tuned to high G with .008 like on electric 12 strings is roughly the same as 22.5" tuned to with a high A.
I tried tuning a 25.5" with a .008 and got it to G#, but I wouldn't be confident that high.

I unfortunately don't have any shops around me because I live in the middle of nowhere. I'm hoping that a 22" scale will give me enough of a buffer so I don't have to worry about snapping it.
I had an Ibanez Mikro once, but didn't venture into that kind of crazyness. It's a 22.2" scale length guitar designed for kids, which is why I had it, but my kids didn't follow, so I sold it. I'd suggest you then to buy one (they're at about 200€ I think) just to try those possibilities and return it a few days later. You'll only pay the shipping for a test bed on scale lengths... obviously that there are other scale lengths to test, so if you find a guitar with the desired measurements, you can buy it and return it to test scale lenghts...

This can became an expensive test, but may also clear a lot of doubts for your project.

Latest posts