Scary statistics!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
Ummm... how are these scary statistics? Once you read how the article breaks down inflation and average household income, it states that it's "up very modestly."

The Munk

Reaction score
Because a qtr million over 18 years ,per child, is quite a bit of cash. That figure is only going to get larger in the future.

Condoms are cheap. Hopefully, people will see that the dollars don't necessarily make 'cents'.

Life is already a struggle. Plunging oneself into debt over hormones is just ignorant.

Mexi

Reaction score
If anything, being committed to raising a child and spending about a quarter million dollars to raise said child goes way beyond just "hormones." It's pretty ignorant to think that people plunge themselves into debt because of having children, and NOT the lifestyle they choose to have for their children (luxuries, living beyond their means) Many people that I know who have had children often tell me that having kids makes their lives so much richer and fulfilling. and really, what good is all that money you make in life if you're just gonna be alone with it all.

Razzy

[10]
Reaction score
what good is all that money you make in life if you're just gonna be alone with it all.

Because you can buy lots of cool shit, and nobody's going to get mad at you if you setup a drumset in your bedroom.

JeffFromMtl

Уродливый, но честны
Reaction score
According to this article, in the very same period of time, the median household income has gone up 3% more than the cost of raising a child to the age of 18. And that's scary because...?

And as far as your last post is concerned, I have no idea how you've come to the conclusion that the brunt of children are the byproduct of people not being able to keep their hormones in check. I reckon it's pretty "ignorant" -to use your words-, to assume that most people who have children only have them because they don't want to pay for condoms, or have made some sort of colossal mistake. I think it's safe to assume that most people who have children wanted to have them, as there are plenty of methods of contraception available to just about anyone. Regardless, whether it's too expensive for them or not, they have to deal with it, and you know what? Those who are capable of shoring up and being accountable, regardless of financial means, often find a way to make it work. It sounds to me like the responsibility is what's scary to you, not these statistics.

If you think single life is too difficult, it's for the better that you don't want kids, because you'd probably be a shitty parent with shitty kids anyway :lol:

:bowdown:

The Munk

Reaction score
If anything, being committed to raising a child and spending about a quarter million dollars to raise said child goes way beyond just "hormones." It's pretty ignorant to think that people plunge themselves into debt because of having children, and NOT the lifestyle they choose to have for their children (luxuries, living beyond their means) Many people that I know who have had children often tell me that having kids makes their lives so much richer and fulfilling. and really, what good is all that money you make in life if you're just gonna be alone with it all.

Kids are enriching to a parent. I know. I have 2.
That aside, I have yet to hear of any conception aside from The Virgin Mary and Shmi Skywalker that didn't involve hormones. :lol:
What I'm trying to bring to peoples attention is data to support the financial end of things.
There are a lot of people that have kids at a younger age, without any understanding of what they are really getting themselves into. Without an understanding of the additional costs of supporting themselves, and non-existent or insufficient income, that/those parent/s will struggle financially.
There are plenty of people in the world who can afford to have kids without thinking about it. Having the money doesn't make them a better or worse parent. A financially struggling parent could be good or bad as well.
The constant is that one individual or couple has funds and the other does not.
Which is the better situation for the newborn child to be in? Speculative for sure.

Having a child is a life altering event. It is the end of the life that you knew, where you were only responsible for yourself.

The Munk

Reaction score
According to this article, in the very same period of time, the median household income has gone up 3% more than the cost of raising a child to the age of 18. And that's scary because...?

And as far as your last post is concerned, I have no idea how you've come to the conclusion that the brunt of children are the byproduct of people not being able to keep their hormones in check. I reckon it's pretty "ignorant" -to use your words-, to assume that most people who have children only have them because they don't want to pay for condoms, or have made some sort of colossal mistake. I think it's safe to assume that most people who have children wanted to have them, as there are plenty of methods of contraception available to just about anyone. Regardless, whether it's too expensive for them or not, they have to deal with it, and you know what? Those who are capable of shoring up and being accountable, regardless of financial means, often find a way to make it work. It sounds to me like the responsibility is what's scary to you, not these statistics. If you think single life is too difficult, it's for the better that you don't want kids, because you'd probably be a shitty parent with shitty kids anyway :lol:

There are a small percentage of girls who get pregnant thinking that it is a way 'to keep their man'. There are plenty of kids having unprotected sex that think pulling out actually works too.
I'm glad that you mentioned accountability, as there was no mention about where peoples income came from, only that it was median.
Was it an assumed legitimate job? Welfare? Crime?
What about people on the poverty end of the spectrum?

Think what you will about my parenting. However, before berating my kids, based off my statements, think a little about what those numbers mean.

Last edited:

JeffFromMtl

Уродливый, но честны
Reaction score
I wasn't actually berating your kids, as I wasn't even aware you had any, and had simply assumed you didn't based on how down on parenting you seem to be. And in all honesty, it was said humorously, so I apologize for that.

At any rate, I will agree that kids these days are stupid, and in a sense, grow up too quickly, given how immature they remain. But I know of a few people who had kids young, and while yes, they'll admit to having made a mistake, and that this isn't how they planned things, they've gotten their shit together, have become decent parents, and IMO, are better people than they used to be for it. It's a steep learning curve, but I think when people are stuck between a rock and a hard place, human willpower can be an incredible thing, even in those who'd never exhibited such tendencies before.

I also don't think any money acquired illegally would show up in census statistics, as I doubt anyone, when filling out said government form, would state that they make their living as a criminal :lol: I'm not sure if welfare income is considered in these statistics either, but welfare on its own is a complicated matter, as we've all got our own opinions on social security.

Poverty and birth rates are also a big problem, what's just crazy to me is that there's a rapidly aging population in developed nations because we believe that reproducing is too much of a strain on our finances, while poverty and hunger-stricken countries are amongst the youngest in the world. I get that in such countries, it often is a hormonal thing, and over-population and sexually-related problems are just the tip of the iceberg, but when I hear people I know talking about how they don't want kids because it's too much of a financial responsibility, I tend to be taken aback, considering how even those in relative poverty in developed nations have an easy time of it compared to about 75% of the rest of the global population. I guess I just never get used to how our by and large luxurious lifestyles are taken for granted.

Sephael

Divine Paradøx
Contributor
Reaction score
The REAL cost of raising a child doesn't include the 12 years of private school tuition those stats count.

pink freud

Reaction score
Because you can buy lots of cool shit, and nobody's going to get mad at you if you setup a drumset in your bedroom.

Except for your neighbors who get you busted for "Disturbing the Peace."

Anyway, does the article address the main benefit of having kids?

SOMEBODY ELSE TO DO MANUAL LABOR :metal:

Razzy

[10]
Reaction score
Except for your neighbors who get you busted for "Disturbing the Peace."

Anyway, does the article address the main benefit of having kids?

SOMEBODY ELSE TO DO MANUAL LABOR :metal:

You wont have kids, so you'd be able to afford sound proofing.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
That is minimal and standard, notice how wage, even in that short 'article' increased more than that cost? Amazing things those statistics... I am willing to bet that the cost, inflation adjusted, is actually less now than in 1960.

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
I've known people who were able to find all kinds of downsides to having kids. Similarly, I have known people who were able to find all kinds of upsides.

I've *never* heard someone who was on the upside end who seriously suggested that they shouldn't have had kids due to the money involved. I'd say, if one is really focused on that, it sounds like one might just be looking for reasons to not have them, as opposed to just bluntly stating that they don't want the responsibility.

Reaction score
I haven't read through this yet but if you have any confidence in your genes whatsoever and you don't try to reproduce twice you need to wise up and stop contributing to then decline of the human race.

Two kids. One to replace you and one to replace your partner.

Sephael

Divine Paradøx
Contributor
Reaction score
I haven't read through this yet but if you have any confidence in your genes whatsoever and you don't try to reproduce twice you need to wise up and stop contributing to then decline of the human race.

Two kids. One to replace you and one to replace your partner.
...or be globally responsible and only have 1 so we can thin down our numbers to a more future friendly level.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
The problem is no matter how few children you have 3rd world areas are going to have as many as they feel like regardless.

Latest posts