Schecter Hellraiser C-8 Setup?

• Thread starter RockerAlex
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RockerAlex

Reaction score
Do any of you guys out there own a Schecter Hellraiser C-8 cause I'd love to know how on earth you've got it set up with low action (if you have) because I'm finding it to be a fucking nightmare. I've played around with so many different gauges now, I've moved up from a set of Daddario 9s to 10s (7 string set) with a 0.80 and it still doesn't seem to be right ... too much flopping around and odd high action at the hight frets only. ... what do I do?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ra1der2

Reaction score
I use ernie ball regular slinky (10's) with a .074 for F# on mine. I think it come down to picking technique regarding the flopping around. One thing I learned from using both active and passives is that with EMG's I can pick very lightly and still get the same crunch as I would get by picking heavily on a passive guitar.

High action on the upper register suggests you need to adjust the truss rod tighter (turn it clockwise) do like 1/2 turn at a time and let it go a day then re-check it as it will take some time for the neck to settle.

RockerAlex

Reaction score
I use ernie ball regular slinky (10's) with a .074 for F# on mine. I think it come down to picking technique regarding the flopping around. One thing I learned from using both active and passives is that with EMG's I can pick very lightly and still get the same crunch as I would get by picking heavily on a passive guitar.

High action on the upper register suggests you need to adjust the truss rod tighter (turn it clockwise) do like 1/2 turn at a time and let it go a day then re-check it as it will take some time for the neck to settle.

Do you find the 0.74 to be enough tension? I'm not sure how much it differs from the Daddario 0.80 but I like my strings to be nice and tight with no flop at all.

ra1der2

Reaction score
Do you find the 0.74 to be enough tension? I'm not sure how much it differs from the Daddario 0.80 but I like my strings to be nice and tight with no flop at all.

I think it's a matter of preference based on picking technique really, for me .074 is fine. I use it on all my guitars up to 30" scale. The 30" scale .074 has about 19lbs of tension, roughly 4lbs more than at a 26.5" scale.

Ernie ball does make a .090 guitar string so you might want to check that out if you like high tension. :hbang:

JoeJohn777

Reaction score
I have the same guitar and love it. You might want to try that Ernie Ball .090 for the tension problem. It is still probably going to be slightly floppy with the .080, but that is something you might just have to get used to since the guitar only has a 26.5 in. scale. As for the action, adjusting the truss rod really only affects about the first 5 or 6 frets. High action in the high register will require a bridge action adjustment. You might have to settle with a little high action on the F# though unless you don't mind some fret buzzing (which personally doesn't bother me too much since you can't hear it through an amp anyways). But you should still be able to get the action on the other strings low with a bridge adjustment (tighten the screws in the saddles for higher action or loosen them for lower action).

RockerAlex

Reaction score
I have the same guitar and love it. You might want to try that Ernie Ball .090 for the tension problem. It is still probably going to be slightly floppy with the .080, but that is something you might just have to get used to since the guitar only has a 26.5 in. scale. As for the action, adjusting the truss rod really only affects about the first 5 or 6 frets. High action in the high register will require a bridge action adjustment. You might have to settle with a little high action on the F# though unless you don't mind some fret buzzing (which personally doesn't bother me too much since you can't hear it through an amp anyways). But you should still be able to get the action on the other strings low with a bridge adjustment (tighten the screws in the saddles for higher action or loosen them for lower action).

The thing is though, I can hear the buzz through the amp when playing clean ... and I like to use those big bass notes for cleans.

JoeJohn777

Reaction score
Definitely give that Ernie Ball .090 a try. Also, does it buzz up in the high register or more in the middle to top of the fret board?

ra1der2

Reaction score
I respectfully disagree with joejohn, the arc of the neck effects the action over the entire fret board, not just the first 5 frets.

If your neck is nearly straight with a slight arc as it should be, your bridge height is set, and you are still getting buzzing, it's more than likely either the nut is cut too shallow on the F# or it is in need of a fret level.

An easy way to check is lightly play each note on F# starting from 1st fret to the 24th fret, this usually allows you to determine which fret is the culprit as it won't buzz until you get the uneven one.