Schecter KM-7 (Keith Merrow) Signature Thread

• Thread starter MikeH
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sparky8691

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I mentioned in an earlier post that I also want to swap the Fluence KM bridge pickup for a Modern. The KM bridge seems to compress a lot and never seems to get the growl or chunkiness that I like to have for metal. To be fair, it does suit Keith's more scooped, black metal-ish tone well. Just not my tonal preference. The bridge pickup single coil voice is interesting...very exaggerated which is cool for ambient clean stuff but seemed too over the top for getting that percussive djent spanky tone. I've been happy with the tone I've got from any of my other bridge pickups when using coil split with distortion - including a Fluence Modern I have in a Cort KX507 - so that does point towards the Modern being perfect for my KM-7.

I did have a look into getting an Open Core Modern a while ago but you could only get the full bridge & neck set from any retailers that had them in stock. Currently my KM-7 III Artist has been with my local guitar shop for a while as they are looking into whether it's possible to remove the brass string through block in the back as I'm not keen on the very metallic acoustic tone of the guitar (that is also auidble with the amplified tone when doing things like open palm mutes on the lower strings). The local shop has had it for something like 7 weeks now though so hopefully they will be done with it soon and I can look into swapping the bridge pickup if I'm keeping the guitar (may sell it if I can't get rid of that metallic tone).

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LegionsOfRaum

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
In an ideal world, I would just switch to passives like the Jupiter rails or something bc I know I like them and don’t have much experience with Fishmans except the KMs. If all that’s needed to get them to fit is just shave some metal off of the plate, I’d rather do that than route the pickup cavities larger. I couldn’t find anyone that had done the exact swap to moderns so I wanted to make sure there was nothing overly unique about the way the KM7 is wired that would prevent me from simply swapping out Fishmans.
I actually did this with both my KM-6 and KM-7 artist guitars. There was a member on here saying that it would be difficult because since it has active pickups it would require adding a bridge ground wire, but he was wrong, since all Fishman active pickups require a bridge ground wire as well. Had to route the corners of the pickup cavities with my dremel to get the new pickups to fit (More-so on the KM-6 than the KM-7) but it was not that difficult. Just got to take your time with the dremel and make sure not to go to far, as that would suck, haha. See pics for reference.

I definitely like these pickups more than the stock Fishman KMs. Never really understood trying to get a passive sound out of an active pickup. Just go with a passive, lol. Which I guess explains why he is back to passive (Lundgren) in his most recent guitars. These pickups definitely work best for lower tunings. I like the 7 string version more than the 6 but they both sound pretty similar.

Attachments

• 20240503_160245.jpg
    20240503_160245.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 31
  • 20240503_160250.jpg
    20240503_160250.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 25
  • 20240503_160333.jpg
    20240503_160333.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 31
  • 20240503_160337.jpg
    20240503_160337.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 26

aWoodenShip

Reaction score
I actually did this with both my KM-6 and KM-7 artist guitars. There was a member on here saying that it would be difficult because since it has active pickups it would require adding a bridge ground wire, but he was wrong, since all Fishman active pickups require a bridge ground wire as well. Had to route the corners of the pickup cavities with my dremel to get the new pickups to fit (More-so on the KM-6 than the KM-7) but it was not that difficult. Just got to take your time with the dremel and make sure not to go to far, as that would suck, haha. See pics for reference.

I definitely like these pickups more than the stock Fishman KMs. Never really understood trying to get a passive sound out of an active pickup. Just go with a passive, lol. Which I guess explains why he is back to passive (Lundgren) in his most recent guitars. These pickups definitely work best for lower tunings. I like the 7 string version more than the 6 but they both sound pretty similar.
That’s really good to know. I still haven’t gotten around to changing mine out yet. Bought some pedals instead. Good thinking with the dremel. I’d be way more comfortable with that than taking my plunge router to it lol. What did you use on the dremel a flap disc?

LegionsOfRaum

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That’s really good to know. I still haven’t gotten around to changing mine out yet. Bought some pedals instead. Good thinking with the dremel. I’d be way more comfortable with that than taking my plunge router to it lol. What did you use on the dremel a flap disc?
I just used your typical dremel sanding bit. Worked like a charm. Just take your time and you shouldn't have any issues.

BusinessMan

Reaction score
Posted this in the schecter models thread but in hindsight I should’ve asked here.

Does anyone have any actual info on the km7 legacy model? I’ve seen that one video of the dude essentially saying the neck is made of rubber “because it bends when I bend the neck” which I don’t buy at all. Other than the promo playthrough, there’s almost no reviews for it I can find. Do any of you have info on it? I’m deciding if I want the legacy or the new lagoon fade. It’ll be my one purchase some point this year (unless I start wanting some other pointy guitar)

Zado

Reaction score
Posted this in the schecter models thread but in hindsight I should’ve asked here.

Does anyone have any actual info on the km7 legacy model? I’ve seen that one video of the dude essentially saying the neck is made of rubber “because it bends when I bend the neck” which I don’t buy at all. Other than the promo playthrough, there’s almost no reviews for it I can find. Do any of you have info on it? I’m deciding if I want the legacy or the new lagoon fade. It’ll be my one purchase some point this year (unless I start wanting some other pointy guitar)
honestly I've seen enough vids about X brand guitars posted by youtubers who are fans/endorsers of Y brand guitars I don't really care anymore. Now, I don't remember the vid, but I've had plenty of guitars whose neck "bended"(meaning the guitar went slightly out of tune for that instant and the action lowered) when I pulled the neck at the headstock, it gets back in shape when you stop applying pressure. Cause, you know, you're not supposed play that way, except if you're one of those Dinos who wanted to get that sorta tremolo effect on fixed bridge guitars as back in the day. It's not like the neck goes bananas by pulling it and it stays that way.
Also, the Legacy model has multy piece maple board and carbon fiber reinforcement, I have an hard time believing you can shoot arrows with such neck.

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score

honestly I've seen enough vids about X brand guitars posted by youtubers who are fans/endorsers of Y brand guitars I don't really care anymore. Now, I don't remember the vid, but I've had plenty of guitars whose neck "bended"(meaning the guitar went slightly out of tune for that instant and the action lowered) when I pulled the neck at the headstock, it gets back in shape when you stop applying pressure. Cause, you know, you're not supposed play that way, except if you're one of those Dinos who wanted to get that sorta tremolo effect on fixed bridge guitars back in the day. It's not like the neck goes bananas by pulling it and it stays that way.

I saw that video you’re referencing and the guy doesn’t know what he’s talking about.

Exactly , many guitarists did and still do bend the neck for a tremolo effect. Some are easier to bend than others. I have some guitars that will do that quite easily and others that are much more difficult. None of these guitars has ever “bent” while not trying to purposefully bend them and are very stable.

BusinessMan

Reaction score
I saw that video you’re referencing and the guy doesn’t know what he’s talking about.

Exactly , many guitarists did and still do bend the neck for a tremolo effect. Some are easier to bend than others. I have some guitars that will do that quite easily and others that are much more difficult. None of these guitars has ever “bent” while not trying to purposefully bend them and are very stable.
I didn’t believe the video in the first place. Two of my guitars go out of pitch when bent in such a way and they’re sturdy as ever. It’s wood, it’ll give a tad. But I wanted some actual information. How’s the neck, sound, weight, finish etc? Alas, I suppose I just have to try and find one somewhere.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I didn’t believe the video in the first place. Two of my guitars go out of pitch when bent in such a way and they’re sturdy as ever. It’s wood, it’ll give a tad. But I wanted some actual information. How’s the neck, sound, weight, finish etc? Alas, I suppose I just have to try and find one somewhere.
It won't be the same sound-wise, but can you try any other KM3 MKIII? Seems to be similar spec-wise except for the pickups and in some cases the bridge, even though they're both legit Hipshots.

Partario

Reaction score
I mentioned in an earlier post that I also want to swap the Fluence KM bridge pickup for a Modern. The KM bridge seems to compress a lot and never seems to get the growl or chunkiness that I like to have for metal. To be fair, it does suit Keith's more scooped, black metal-ish tone well. Just not my tonal preference. The bridge pickup single coil voice is interesting...very exaggerated which is cool for ambient clean stuff but seemed too over the top for getting that percussive djent spanky tone. I've been happy with the tone I've got from any of my other bridge pickups when using coil split with distortion - including a Fluence Modern I have in a Cort KX507 - so that does point towards the Modern being perfect for my KM-7.

I did have a look into getting an Open Core Modern a while ago but you could only get the full bridge & neck set from any retailers that had them in stock. Currently my KM-7 III Artist has been with my local guitar shop for a while as they are looking into whether it's possible to remove the brass string through block in the back as I'm not keen on the very metallic acoustic tone of the guitar (that is also auidble with the amplified tone when doing things like open palm mutes on the lower strings). The local shop has had it for something like 7 weeks now though so hopefully they will be done with it soon and I can look into swapping the bridge pickup if I'm keeping the guitar (may sell it if I can't get rid of that metallic tone).
I found the pickups to be awful in every way (for me personally, I know people love them). Zero dynamics or character, I was disappointed that my $300 Agile sounded better. I put some Dimarzio Fusion Edge pickups in that came out of my buddy's prestige, and it absolutely rips now. I suspect the brass string retainer isn't the problem. If you have any passives lying around throw them in and see what you think.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I guess there's a refresh coming? Hopefully? :lol:

The USA production series doesn't seem like the biggest success and it seems like Schecter strips it down more and more every year. Starting to remind me of the ESP USA series.

Zado

Reaction score
I guess there's a refresh coming? Hopefully? :lol:

The USA production series doesn't seem like the biggest success and it seems like Schecter strips it down more and more every year. Starting to remind me of the ESP USA series.

Thing is the USA KM model is the only kinda successful CS model they have Trad, Sunset and PT excluded (which are very popular considering their price range). They can't be dismissing it, it'd be plain dumb