Schecter KM-7 (Keith Merrow) Signature Thread

• Thread starter MikeH
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Schweick

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've been wanting a 28+ 7-string for awhile now. :lol: But given how the KM8 and baritone KM6 didn't pan out, I doubt it'll happen.
Well the Fishmans are apparently out, so what would make the next inevitable iteration of the line financially viable for them? I mean there're only so many ways to "jazz" up a super Strat anyways.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Yul Brynner

Custom title
Reaction score
Idk man. First it was digital computer amps. Now digital computer pickups. Why not just go play guitar hero on the play station and be done with it...

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
No offense @possumkiller, but Fishman Fluences ain't digital pickups, no modeling of any kind, just good ol' electromagnetism generating an analog signal.
Aren't they plugged into a computer where Fishman programs these pickups? If so, I'd pretty much call them digital at that point. I remember reading back that's how the signature pickups are made. They sit down with the artist and basically just EQ it on a computer in real time.

jephjacques

BUTTS LOL
Reaction score
Glad he's ditching Fishman, I think regular Moderns sound pretty good but I didn't jive with his signature set at all. It's the only reason I sold my USA Merrow 7.

MrWulf

Reaction score
Idk man. First it was digital computer amps. Now digital computer pickups. Why not just go play guitar hero on the play station and be done with it...

Does it really matter if get the job done? Only musicians are fuzzy about miniscule details that ultimately doesnt matter at all.

Aren't they plugged into a computer where Fishman programs these pickups? If so, I'd pretty much call them digital at that point. I remember reading back that's how the signature pickups are made. They sit down with the artist and basically just EQ it on a computer in real time.

And? I'd say thats a great advantage of Fishman. Even so saying they are digital is ignorant since Fishman still made magnets and such with their pickups, not like it is a pickup made with transitors and a mini CPU in the middle of it?

With traditional pickups you basically prototype the pickups to the point where you have to settle on one eventually and even then it might not even what you want due to how imprecise the whole process is. But with Fishman you can dial in the exact EQ curve you want with the pickups and the production process will make sure that every pickups will sounds the same no matter what.

I play music

Reaction score
Does it really matter if get the job done? Only musicians are fuzzy about miniscule details that ultimately doesnt matter at all.

And? I'd say thats a great advantage of Fishman. Even so saying they are digital is ignorant since Fishman still made magnets and such with their pickups, not like it is a pickup made with transitors and a mini CPU in the middle of it?

With traditional pickups you basically prototype the pickups to the point where you have to settle on one eventually and even then it might not even what you want due to how imprecise the whole process is. But with Fishman you can dial in the exact EQ curve you want with the pickups and the production process will make sure that every pickups will sounds the same no matter what.
that would be cool if they'd give us an app to program the eq curve but then they couldn't sell 100 different sig models ...

Schweick

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
At this point, I'm kind of wondering what's the point of Schecter keeping the KM line even going. Not knocking the guitars themselves, but it sort of seems that Schecter's, more or less, already got a super Strat for just about every autistic taste as is. In fact, Schecter kind of reminds me of Agile at the moment, in that they've sort of flooded the new market with what were once considered niche guitars so that it's cheaper and easier now just to buy a used one.

MrWulf

Reaction score
that would be cool if they'd give us an app to program the eq curve but then they couldn't sell 100 different sig models ...

Yes because guitarists will definitely trying to program the EQ curve to themselves rather than just trying to replicate some EQ curve from other pickup instead. Nevermind how the whole production process isnt just an easy "programming the eq curve and done".

Seriously why are y'all guitarists so dumb?

MrWulf

Reaction score
At this point, I'm kind of wondering what's the point of Schecter keeping the KM line even going. Not knocking the guitars themselves, but it sort of seems that Schecter's, more or less, already got a super Strat for just about every autistic taste as is. In fact, Schecter kind of reminds me of Agile at the moment, in that they've sort of flooded the new market with what were once considered niche guitars so that it's cheaper and easier now just to buy a used one.

Uh......because it sells well? Why is this even a question

MrWulf

Reaction score
Seeing as how I bought mine used, I should think the question is more than releveant.

How is that relevant? Schecter doesnt get a cut of used market, so as long as the series sells well brand new for them why would they care about how many are being resale or trade in the used market? Not like MIK Schecter are currently commanding good used sale price either, when avg resale are around 1k which is already a steep 30 to 40% from MRSP. The KM7 series has been sell good enough for Schecter to introduce a lower tier version too. So clearly it sells well enough where a. Schecter makes good money and b. Lots of ppl cycle it thru the used market.

So why would they want to discontinue such cash cows? It is in its 4th iterations already and it still sell well

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score

This is a weird take. The KM mk III body shape is distinctly different from the rest of their guitars. Are you gonna complain about Fender "flooding the market" with strats next? Are you arguing that better availability of "niche" guitars is a bad thing? And why call people's tastes autistic?

EDIT: I'm back because this bothered me
Seeing as how I bought mine used, I should think the question is more than releveant.

You cannot seriously be arguing that, because you bought a used guitar, a company should stop making that guitar. Alright boys, Schweick got his guitar now so pack 'em up we're all done!

Last edited: