Schecter KM7 vs C7 Apocalypse

Folsom

Reaction score
Hello friends, I am about 90% sold on a KM7 due to the overwhelming praise they receive on these forums, but I also am intrigued by the Apocalypse line. The trouble is there are not nearly as many reviews/demo videos available. I enjoy the finish options on both, so my decision is broken down into two areas at the moment. Pickups, and neck:

Pickups: The few reviews I have found on the Apoc pickups were all very positive. I was able to briefly play the 6 string version of the Apoc, but having never played the Nazgul/Sentient combo I could not get an in-person comparison. I am confident that either pickup set will achieve the tones I am after, but some reviews have placed the Apoc pickups on a BKP level. Does anyone else feel the same? Is there a clear winner in the pickup category here?

Neck: KM7 sports the Ultra Thin C neck, and I am currently an Ibanez player (RG7620 and RGA 121). I would assume the KM7 would feel more "normal" for me at the moment, but that said I also played a Schecter C1+ and an ESP ec-1000 for years previously. I'm just worried I won't jive with the Apoc neck. Am I overthinking this?

Unfortunately I don't have the opportunity at the moment to try before I buy, so I am relying on your experience! Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sezna

undermotivated
Contributor
Reaction score
Km7 neck profile will be more familiar to you for sure. Apoc pickups are really interesting. Not super clear, kinda classic rocky in my opinion. But I tried the six string version. I’d prefer the km7 pups. Opinion of course.

The apoc neck is not too weird in its profile, but it does have a finish I don’t like. It always feels greasy even when it isn’t. Sorry if I’m being a bit negative.

BMO

Geetarist
Reaction score
Km7 neck profile will be more familiar to you for sure. Apoc pickups are really interesting. Not super clear, kinda classic rocky in my opinion. But I tried the six string version. I’d prefer the km7 pups. Opinion of course.

The apoc neck is not too weird in its profile, but it does have a finish I don’t like. It always feels greasy even when it isn’t. Sorry if I’m being a bit negative.

For me the Apocalypse not only felt greasy, but it got sticky really fast too. I played it for maybe 5 minutes and my hand started dragging when going up and down the neck.

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
Nazguls work way better in a darker sounding guitar imo. I didn't like the nazgul in the KMs I've tried as it feels harsher and icepicky compared to when I had one in my all mahogany avenger. I have no experience with the apocalypse other than taking it off the wall to noodle with it unplugged for like 5 minutes. I'd say try both (if possible) before buying, or at least find an online retailer that will let you return/exchange the guitar if you don't mesh with it.

Folsom

Reaction score
I had forgotten this thread was still up! I ended up going with a KM7 I found on Reverb with BKP Coldsweats. As you can imagine, I dig it. Thanks for all the feedback!