Schematics (First Build)

• Thread starter Adventrooster
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Adventrooster

7SNOOB
Reaction score
Welcome ladies and gentleman! This is something I've been wanting to do for a long time now...thanks to the threads on this forum. I'm sure you can all respect the fact that this is merely a project for me right now. Much like other users, I have absolutely zero experience with wood shop. However, I did make a jalepeno cutting board in shop in the 8th grade (15 years ago), so I'm hoping those skills translate to this. That coupled with the fact that I just became comfortable making adjustments to my guitars should make this an interesting and ambitious project.

Those of you (mostly everyone) who don't know me should know that I currently have 3 Sterling Musicman guitars, 2 6 string, and 1 7 string. I had a PRS SE in the past, and prior to that...my first guitar was a Lotus (Just to give you insight on my past and preference of weapon). So the art of purchasing guitars doesn't come easily in my household, as I have other financial obligations at the moment. I'm hoping that this will be a good way to spend as I go.

I will take all of your suggestions to heart, and into heavy consideration. Woods, techniques, finishes, hardware, are all of the things I will be reaching out to this community for. You could potentially see an idea that you've spawned come into play later! The knowledge on these forums is far more superior to what I could hope to know on guitars. So, check out my schematics! (I apologize if the image is large, or whatever. I'm typing this from "work" and have little control on cropping.)

Now that I've come up with an epic storyline, here is my not so epic schematic. A very traditional 6 string. The headstock almost resembles a Schecter or PRS, but I had an interesting idea to hollow out the headstock and just have an...outline of it? I'm hoping that this will be something that is familiar to me when I pick up and strum the finished product in 2023. Expect to see this thread buried here and there, then rez'd. Thanks guys!

Attachments

• 20140407_155836[1].jpg
    20140407_155836[1].jpg
    410.1 KB · Views: 103

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

metaldoggie

Pro smeghead
Reaction score
Nice idea with the headstock. For strength you may need to sandwich a piece of steel cut into the same shape, between two pieces of wood.....depends on wood selection and thickness.

metaldoggie

Pro smeghead
Reaction score
Look up floyd rose guitars and see if you can find any info on how they made the headstocks.....its a similar concept.

DistinguishedPapyrus

Reaction score
I'd suggest, for a first timer, a multi laminate hard maple neck. Heres why: 1) its cheap and abundant wood thats proven the test of time and been used in many common guitars that last decades. 2)multi lam because its more stable to build with when you're new to building and proper neck set up and construction. 3) it looks good under nearly any finish... oil, nitro, poly, stain... etc.

6 string is a great place to start. Its fairly well ventured territory and theres loads of info and construction tutorials on the web for it, also true for hardware and pups and such. Theres lots of options for the bridge, tuners, nut, electronics and other aspects of a 6er. Heres a link to my first build if it'll help in construction ideas and such... schweet build

sehnomatic

Reaction score
I'll gladly help make your dream a reality. 1:1 scale. I guarantee the accuracy of my drawing to the parameters of:
Hipshot 6 string bridge spacing
Hipshot tuners, Schecter Tusq Nut spacing
25.5" Scale
Seymour duncan sized pickups
0.12" fretboard edge spacing on treble side
0.14" fretboard edge spacing on bass side

You really shouldn't worry about the bridge and nut spacing. When you get your own hardware, you should alter measurements to those.

Fixed a couple symmetry oddities, warped it a little in order for a logical midline and had to elongate the headstock to get tuners to fit. The circles for neck mounting are just center guides on ideal placement.

qrICUgU.jpg

8FIu1qH.png

Size compared to my regius copy

PDF

You may want to adjust lines and shape to your liking once printed. Not sure how much the headstock will be hollowed out due to tuner clearance.

Good luck mate.

Edit: you may have interest in:
http://www.ekips.org/tools/guitar/fretfind2d/ - Fretboard and scale
http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/Fretting/i-fretcalc.html Bridge placement
http://www.reranch.com/101.htm Finishing

Adventrooster

7SNOOB
Reaction score
I'll gladly help make your dream a reality. 1:1 scale. I guarantee the accuracy of my drawing to the parameters of:
Hipshot 6 string bridge spacing
Hipshot tuners, Schecter Tusq Nut spacing
25.5" Scale
Seymour duncan sized pickups
0.12" fretboard edge spacing on treble side
0.14" fretboard edge spacing on bass side

You really shouldn't worry about the bridge and nut spacing. When you get your own hardware, you should alter measurements to those.

Fixed a couple symmetry oddities, warped it a little in order for a logical midline and had to elongate the headstock to get tuners to fit. The circles for neck mounting are just center guides on ideal placement.

qrICUgU.jpg

8FIu1qH.png

Size compared to my regius copy

PDF

You may want to adjust lines and shape to your liking once printed. Not sure how much the headstock will be hollowed out due to tuner clearance.

Good luck mate.

Shawn, this is fantastic, thank you! I'll probably order the body wood early next week. What to choose, what to choose!

Adventrooster

7SNOOB
Reaction score
So...Monday is payday! I'm using some downtime at work to wood shop online. I'm finding some reasonable prices for the most part. It sucks not being able to actually see the wood in person. It's rather exciting knowing that this guitar could potentially be made from things all around the planet. Here are a few items that stuck out.

Alder body blank

Spalted Maple Top (I've found two for around $50 so far)

Rosewood Fingerboard (loving the heavy grains on some of these)

Before I go crazy and start ordering I plan on checking out local stores (Home Depot, Lowe's) just in case. While I'm sure I won't have much success, I have heard of people finding nice woods here and there. Here are some pics to bring you inside my mind! If I went ahead and purchased these now, I'd be sitting around $120 based on the prices I've seen. A bit steep for a first build considering this will be a win or a miserable fail. Only one way to see!

Attachments

• $_57.jpg
    $_57.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 9
  • spalted.jpg
    spalted.jpg
    388 KB · Views: 13
  • RosewoodFingerboards.jpg
    RosewoodFingerboards.jpg
    344 KB · Views: 14