Scratchy fretboard

• Thread starter Willyjacksonjs22-7
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got a new Epiphone Les Paul prophecy and it came with an Ebony fretboard ( my first ebony) when bending strings, I can feel and hear the strings scratching the fretboard. Does it need sanding or oil?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The Monster With .

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Are you sure it's the fretboard? Usually that scratchy feeling on a new mid tier guitar is the actually frets. I pretty much only play cheaper guitars, so I'm pretty used to this.

For scratchy frets, I polish them with autoparts chrome polish and paper towel. Just polish up and down on one fret until it's mirror polished. The whole fretboard should only take like 30 minutes tops. After that, clean up the residual polishing compound with some Naphtha.

The Monster With .

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Are you sure it's the fretboard? Usually that scratchy feeling on a new mid tier guitar is the actually frets. I pretty much only play cheaper guitars, so I'm pretty used to this.

For scratchy frets, I polish them with autoparts chrome polish and paper towel. Just polish up and down on one fret until it's mirror polished. The whole fretboard should only take like 30 minutes tops. After that, clean up the residual polishing compound with some Naphtha.

Also, congrats on the new guitar!

Reaction score

Also, congrats on the new guitar!
I think it’s the fretboard, I can feel it. Or maybe I’m wrong.

Ok thanks I’ll into that.

Thanks man!

The Monster With .

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Clean it. 0000 steel wool or polishing sandpaper.

EDIT: by it I mean the frets don’t sand your fretboard
Yep 0000 steel wool is a good call if it has visible rough spots. Just mask off your pickups/pickup cavities with some green painters tape. Steel wool sheds and you don't want that stuff getting into your pickups.