SD Black Winters in K7

hilljack13

Reaction score
Finally got the install done and I can say these things are a F@%ing BEAST! I have never had to tone down the gain and bass on my amp until I put these pups in. Only reason i am posting is to get others preference on amp settings. I'm at 3 'o clock gain and bass. Presence at 2 o'clock. I still feel the need to pull back some. Using Mesa Roadster 2x12 combo.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Baelzebeard

Grinder of strings
Reaction score
Maybe try lowering them a little. Mine seemed a little too gnarly, and had weird overtones up close to the strings.

when I found the sweet spot they were more in line with my other guitars.

SubsonicDoom99

Reaction score
Yeah when it comes to the Black Winter pickups I found that messing around with the pickup height settings was imperative.
Most pickups are going to be responsive to how their heights are set of course, but the BWs really had a noticeable difference when adjusting the height. At first I had them set way too high and they just lacked any kind of subtlety at all. Once I backed them off some with a bit of trial and error I got them to sound amazing. But even then I still found myself backing off the gain on my amp a bit as well, not a ton but just a bit until I found the right balance.

hilljack13

Reaction score
They are as low as they can go. SD has the poles through the baseplate so unless I route out the cavity they are stuck for now.

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
They are as low as they can go. SD has the poles through the baseplate so unless I route out the cavity they are stuck for now.
How far from the strings are the top of the screws, when fretted at the 24th?

hilljack13

Reaction score
Neck pickup is a hair under 2mm to right at 2mm moving toward bridge. Bridge starts a hair over 2mm.