Second build, multiscale 6 string 27" - 25.5"

• Thread starter fenji
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

fenji

Reaction score
hi guys, moving on to my second build and wood is arriving left right and center so here's the initial plan:

swamp ash 2 piece body,
maple and rosewood 3 piece neck,
birdseye maple fingerboard,
spalted maple top,
and undecided on pickup configuration at this point.

going with a 27" to 25.5" multiscale type idea and me and my boy dankarghhs sweet template designs :D!
eg:
DOD0GSU.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Deegatron

Reaction score
Very nice.
I like the shape.
27" scale is long as balls... what are you planning to tune this down to?

djohns74

Reaction score
27" scale is long as balls... what are you planning to tune this down to?

:scratch: Why does a 27" scale require tuning down? That's a perfectly reasonable scale for standard tuning, especially on the lower strings.

fenji

Reaction score
hi guys, sorry about the inordinate amount of time between posts. uni and work have been keeping me real busy.
anyways, i've adjusted the design a little from the first post to something like this:
2vXP364.jpg

the inlay is of the sixth house symbol from elderscrolls: morrowind, cause i fkin love that game.
thinking of going a sweet resin/glow in the dark red filling to really get the dagoth feel happening.

soo, here's the progress so far:
7fQpkyy.jpg

moM5Dv5.jpg

VmZMI6I.jpg

C2b7c7q.jpg

bxWmtVz.jpg

DoZQJ4h.jpg

2u0Mx0P.jpg

and here's the two pretty girls together (dankarghhs doing a thingo too):
GRrlxNC.jpg

fenji

Reaction score
quick little update with some pics for you guys!
i've done some work here and there, routed pickup cavities, bridge saddle holes, some of the neck carving etc.
have kinda gone off the idea of a red luminous inlay and am leaning towards a nice mother of pearl idea. scared that red resin might make it look a bit tacky.
rTmOdx4.jpg

i completely forgot to put a bit of wood underneath to drill through the body and into to prevent tearing out on the underside :( you can see some baking paper on the bottom there where i've carefully pushed the torn wood back into place and clamped + glued it. hoping ill be able to sand it back a little and there will be no evidence of this absolute rookie error haha.

1J2vHzy.jpg

7LPJeuG.jpg

also did a cheeky little mock up with some hardware and some of dankarghs instrumental pickups hes ordered for one of his builds. i've ordered a set of my own in fact for this build. definitely super into the double and single pickup configuration at the moment, should look real cool when it's set up properly!
EYYcsfk.jpg

kXRiMRB.jpg

Hywel

Reaction score
Great stuff so far! Very clean work. :D

Pikka Bird

Vaya Con Cornholio
Reaction score
Aw yiss, mutha fuckin' House Dagoth!!

I'll be looking forward to seeing this take shape.

Question: A friend and I are making a couple of multiscale 8s, and have started talking about truss rods for such a thing, using similar scale lengths as you. What are you gonna do for yours?

MoonJelly

a subtle stinging sensation..
Reaction score
i completely forgot to put a bit of wood underneath to drill through the body and into to prevent tearing out on the underside :( you can see some baking paper on the bottom there where i've carefully pushed the torn wood back into place and clamped + glued it. hoping ill be able to sand it back a little and there will be no evidence of this absolute rookie error haha.

also did a cheeky little mock up with some hardware and some of dankarghs instrumental pickups hes ordered for one of his builds. i've ordered a set of my own in fact for this build. definitely super into the double and single pickup configuration at the moment, should look real cool when it's set up properly!
EYYcsfk.jpg

Where did you get these bridges? I've only ever seen this type in bass guitar size.

fenji

Reaction score
Aw yiss, mutha fuckin' House Dagoth!!

I'll be looking forward to seeing this take shape.

Question: A friend and I are making a couple of multiscale 8s, and have started talking about truss rods for such a thing, using similar scale lengths as you. What are you gonna do for yours?

sixth house represent! haha :metal:

and also, a little confused/ not sure if i'm misinterpreting the question, but if you're asking about the truss rod i've used in this one, it's just a standard 460 mm one. not sure what you'd be best off using for an 8 string with the same scale lengths, if i'm honest..

Where did you get these bridges? I've only ever seen this type in bass guitar size.

ah i've pinched a set off of danka that he had lying around spare, no idea where he managed to source them haha sorry.

Pikka Bird

Vaya Con Cornholio
Reaction score
...if you're asking about the truss rod i've used in this one...
Oh yes, I don't even know why I wrote it like that, since you already have the fretboard on.

Well, I was just wondering if there's any special precautions you gotta take with he bass side strings pulling harder and all.

dankarghh

Reaction score
Oh yes, I don't even know why I wrote it like that, since you already have the fretboard on.

Well, I was just wondering if there's any special precautions you gotta take with he bass side strings pulling harder and all.

I'm doing an 8 string fan of the same scale lengths as well - same truss rod, but i have a piece of carbon fibre on either side of that to reinforce- probably a good idea because the neck is so wide.

fenji

Reaction score
have another mini update seeing as i've had a bit of time to spend in the garage.
i've gone and done a nice little bevel on the body's underside, drilled a tunnel for the bridge pickup wiring, carved in some nice curves on the top for each cutaway and drilled some tuner peg holes in the headstock.
M7BTk2g.jpg

OAHYVce.jpg

Vq9qVNR.jpg

W5BQTrG.jpg

orzoZGg.jpg

the tearing i'd caused by not having a piece of wood to drill into on the underside glued back in nicely, and once i've widened the holes for ferrules it will be completely obscured so pretty happy with that.
i still need to blend the bevel into the tummy cut, but other than that she's really taking shape.