Second guitar - Black limba/BB/multi-scale 7

• Thread starter KR250
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

pettymusic

Reaction score
I used Minwax satin poly spray on. Not perfect, but I'm quite pleased with it and was really easy to work with once I got the epoxy sanded and prepped. I built a guitar-rotisserie so I can spin it and apply all at once which really helped. I've already dinged it once already against my desk, ugh. What I noticed is that the ding stops exactly at the epoxy layer, so it's doing it's job at least and shows the poly doesn't cure very hard.

The finishing on this took about 80% of my time (my least favorite part), hadn't been totally satisfied with my early build finishes and figured this would be a good test bed to get better.

I bought some 2K clear for doing gloss, but I don't have a good enough ventilation system to use it at home. I might try spray on lacquer for the next gloss job over the epoxy when I re-do my third build.

I know what you mean. It's absolutely my least favorite part but, I also realize it's an important part of I want the quality I'm after.

I'm using the emtech waterbased poly at Target Coatings. I like the results I'm getting and easy cleanup now that I have a decent gun. However, like you, I don't have proper ventilation so, I bought a spray shelter from Lee valley stores and plan to try that next. It's basically supposed to be a large tent that pulls airflow to the floor by design. We'll see this week hopefully. I'm moving right now but, trying to get a couple builds complete before we move out totally.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kaff

Reaction score
Man this project looks dope!

And it gives me hope since I'm about to embark on a very similar build with very little experience.