Seeking Guidance - 7 string - Tremolo - 25.5"

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Amazing good comments! mutch appreciated :)

As of today, i am leaning against;

New guitars from store:
Ibanez RG752AHM
https://www.ibanez.com/usa/products/detail/rg752ahm_01.html
It does not have Ebony fretboard, but it is available brand new in local web store.
I love the prestige build quality, and that it is MIJ.

LTD MH-1007 QM FLoyd Rose
https://www.espguitars.com/products/21022-mh-1007?category_id=1964652-7-8-string-guitars
This thing ticks of all my check points, looks killer aswell. Can also buy local web store,
What is stopping me is the sceptisism of Indonesian factory? realy want something from MIJ..

used Guitars in my country:
there are available a couple of RG15277s with whammy, but they are all from 03-08.
I was hoping to get something new and fresher.. :)

Reaction score
so i bougth this guitar today, IBANEZ RG1527 '05, getting it shipped. so will see it in couple of days. Maybe you guys can confirm that it is a real MIJ? :)

Second question, how are the stock pups? I like a creamy distortion :)

Attachments

• l_1165159108 (1).jpg
    l_1165159108 (1).jpg
    641.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 676_2033509467.jpg
    676_2033509467.jpg
    342.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 676_1046168553.jpg
    676_1046168553.jpg
    310.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 676_790701759.jpg
    676_790701759.jpg
    374.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 676_175318567.jpg
    676_175318567.jpg
    719.8 KB · Views: 22

nickgray

Reaction score
Maybe you guys can confirm that it is a real MIJ?

It's real alright, congrats! Seems it's in a very good condition too, I have a 1527 as well and mine has a lot of small chips (be careful, the finish seems to chip very easily on this one), and the black paint on left side of the trem and on the locking clamps (on the nut) has rubbed off completely. Yours seems almost brand new, at least judging from the photos. It's a killer guitar, really good choice.

how are the stock pups?

I replaced the bridge with a D-Activator and I didn't notice much of a change tbh. More output, but that's about it really. I was hoping for more clarity or string separation, but it's not noticeable really. Basically, the stock pups are more than fine, at least imo. I wanna try a Sentient in the bridge at some point, I have a six string with a Sentient and it's somewhat lower in the output and it has pronounced highs. Hilariously, I don't much enjoy it, I have it tuned to D standard, and it's a little bit thin, I guess, but once go drop C you start hearing the potential for the lower tunings - it's ridiculously clear, zero mud. Really makes me wonder how it'll do in B standard or A.

Reaction score
Thanks for the info

In my i 927fxqmz, i have a dimarzio Petrucci in the bridge, i am realy fond of the full body tone, no spikyness at all

Looking forward to hone my whammy skills, it has been 10years since i last used one
I mostly play in B standard turning

Reaction score
I kep Reading about the locking stud mod. Is there an easier diy solution for someone not totaly anal about it?

bzhang9

Reaction score
I keep Reading about the locking stud mod. Is there an easier diy solution for someone not totaly anal about it?

its a gimmick, not worth it

there's no functional difference in tuning stability between edge pro and other edge variants with locking studs

a stud will not rotate from trem use with that amount of tension and friction

Cole Justesen

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You might not be able to get an E-II brand new did 1500 Euros, but you might be able to snag a used model. I bought my E-II Horizon FR-7 (black turqouise burst) new and it is a fantastic instrument. I loved it so much, I bought a black Horizon FR-7 (alder body) used for $1200 USD - it is also a killer guitar. I also own an Ibanez RG752 with a mahogany body (without a Floyd Rose) and it is a great guitar too. Personally, I like the E-II guitars more. That said they are both awesome and I am sure you will be happy with either an E-II or an Ibanez Prestige.

Cole

Nacho Ponce

Reaction score
Problem: I seek guidance for my next aquisition;

In the jungle of very good 7 strings, i am understanding more my needs for what my guitars need to be composed of. My problem is finding a 7 string with tremolo and 25.5" scale that is appeling for the eye, and the wallet.

Specs prefered:
Price cap: 1500EURO
Playing style: Virtuoso, "Andy James and similar"
Scale: 25.5" (B standard player)
Bridge: Tremolo (Quality)
Body: S type, RG style, mahogony, Basswood or similar. Ligth is good. Must have ergonomic cutouts for forearm and belly.
Neck: Maple, Not written in stone.
Fretboard: Ebony, or hard like ebony.
Frets: Jumbo or larger
Fret composition: Nickel or SS
Tuners: Locking tuners
Pickups: Modern with good output.

I Have today 3 7's;
Schecter KM7 MKI, Jackson SLATTXMG3-7, Ibanez 927FBQMZ (Ibanez is the one i am keeping)

So, are there any guitars out there fitting the bill? I have my eye on Ibanez UV70P-BK.
I would recommend you to go to a store and try a Schecter Hellraiser, I own one and it’s unbelievably comfortable to play, it has an amazing tone, and it looks amazing in my opinion. As far as the specs:
Price cap: around 1000US dollars
Playing style: it was Jeff Loomis’ main guitar for many years, so I believe it fits your playstyle
Scale: 26.5" (I have it tuned in B standard, and it plays wonderfully, good tension due to the length of the scale)
Bridge: it comes loaded with an original Floyd Rose
Body: hellraiser’s classic body style, made out of mahogany, so it’s not a light guitar, but for the size and wood it’s not extremely heavy either, it has a very good weight and balance IMO.
Neck: 3 piece mahogany, with a set neck construction
Fretboard: rosewood, and it’s pretty hard
Frets: X-jumbo
Fret composition: i have no idea what they are made of
Tuners: not locking tuners, it has Grover tuners, but it comes with the Floyd Rose locking bridge
Pickups: EMG 707’s, and I personally love the tone on these pickups, wouldn’t change it for anything, it’s very thick on the low end, but doesn’t lack definition at all
I hope this helps in your decision. Greetings!

nickgray

Reaction score
its a gimmick, not worth it

Mine's blocked, so I don't really have any input on the tuning stability and all, but I definitely wouldn't say that it's a gimmick. It is handy in one (rather rare, admittedly) situation - when you take out the trem. The studs are very loose and are turned very easily, and the locking stud mod should definitely prevent that. Nothing earth shattering, of course, but it's a nice little bonus feature to have.

Cole Justesen

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Sorry I missed your post before making a recommendation. I think you will like your Ibanez. I love the neck profile on my RG752, but I also love Jackson Soloists too, so thin works for me. Congrats on an awesome guitar! I love the aesthetic on your guitar.

What pickups come with this guitar? If they are DiMarzio PAF7s, like my RG752 had, they are great sounding, but the bridge needed a bit more push for my taste. I swapped my bridge for a Blaze Custom and the neck for a Blaze. I actually prefer the PAF7 over the Blaze, but the Blaze matches the Blaze Custom better.

Cole

Reaction score
Got it set up today, loving the feel of the neck. The neck is so good, i am kind of hating myself for playing Les paul type guitars for 15years, and just resently noticed a new world outside the limiting grampa guitars ;) Still love them offcourse.. ;)

bzhang9

Reaction score
locking studs are not a gimmick, but to each their own. :2c:

edge pros without studs stay in tune as well as any bridge with the studs, studs add more pain to adjusting bridge height, if the tiny hex strips while locked the bridge is stuck

gimmick

trem licking

Reaction score
as mentioned above by nickgray, locking studs are nice for keeping the studs where they are if you remove the trem. other than that, floyd roses stay in tune just as well without locking studs. that being said, i don't mind having them at all but i certainly would not go through the trouble of doing the locking stud mod... im highly certain you would see no tangible benefit to doing so.

Ross82

Reaction score
My RG 7420 is 26.5 as are my Jackson 7s. I have strung up 25.5" scale guitars tuned as a baritone and the B string was very flubby. If you decide to downtune to A, it would likely be VERY flubby. I would encourage you to try a few 7s with a 26.5" scale - it is not that difficult to adjust to.

Good luck, brother!

I used to tune my 7620 to A with no issues using a .60 string, he’d be fine.