Seeking recommendations for cheaper (under $2k) acoustic for percussive fingerstyle / tapping style

ogon

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
All the big players in this style seem to play extremely expensive boutique instruments in the $5k+ range. I actually don't care about hitting and drumming on the guitar but I do a lot of tapping, fancy legato things, and changing tunings and I'd love a guitar that does these things well. Basically I'm looking for the acoustic equivalent of a Keeley/Ibanez/etc. shred machine. It's funny because I actually mostly play acoustic these days but don't have the knowledge of boutique acoustic makers or even what major acoustic brands might have the kind of instruments I'm looking for.

Also, are there considerations for body size/shape for this style of playing on acoustic? As I was saying I play way more acoustic than electric these days but I've just never had the opportunity or taken the time to really learn the sonic differences between OMs, dreadnoughts, etc.

I have a Larivee and love the balanced sound but honestly the playability is not the greatest at least on the one I have. It might be humidity/dryness issues or something but whatever it is the neck is not the best for tapping. I'd love something with bigger frets, a dead stable neck, but the same/similar balanced sound as a larivee. My price range is $2k max. I'd be interested in learning about any top notch builders of this kind in general though.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Go play some guitars. Buy the one you like the best within your budget.

Don't worry about specs or brand so much, just see what's out there.