Setting up a Floyd Rose for UP tuning?? :O

xxRogelioOxx

Reaction score
Alright, so I just recently got my first seven string, an Agile Interceptor, plays great and all but it EATS high e strings. Its gotten so bad I went through 4 in 2 days.

I play in straight perfect fourths tuning - BEADGCF - meaning there's some extra tension on my highest two strings (up half step, don't know what that translates into in terms of pressure or whatever), which I believe to be the problem.

Now my question is - How to best set up the floyd rose to accommodate my tuning?

In hindsight, I should have had it professionally set up with my tuning in mind, and that's still probably the best option, but money's tight and I"m hoping there's a not-too-overly-complicated solution out there.

guitarfreak1387

squirrel chaser
Reaction score
some info on what strings you are using will be helpful for people to help you out.

it could be a few things that are the problem.

1. tension for your C and F are are within the breaking point of your strings.
2. your bridge may have burs that are digging into the strings and weakening them as result. (where are they breaking? at the nut or bridge?)
3.it may be as stupid as a bad batch of strings, if had issues with strings before in the past just going to standard.
4. could even be caused by some abuse from the trem.

you could allways try going to a lighter gauge string for the C and F. right now i got my 7 in D-g and have not had any issues with doing so. using EB 10-46 with a .008 for the high g, so your Tuning should be doable without too much hassle.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
What string gauge are you using? Have you used that tuning on other guitars in the past, and if so, what were their scale lengths and what string gauge did you use?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

xxRogelioOxx

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys, this is actually my first post on the site.

Standard string gauges on the 7 string, with a .09 on the high e (or should I say, f )

I've played in this tuning with my Ibanez RG3EXFM1, breaking the high f's also been an issue on this one, but not as bad. I actually use a .10 on this one.

Scale length on the Agile I believe to be 28 5/8".
The Ibi is somewhere around 25".

The string isn't breaking at either extremity, but in the middle. And it can't be trem abuse, haven't really experimented with it as of yet. Just trying to get this thing playable with all 7 strings first :(

cardinal

Reaction score
If I had to guess, that long scale length is causing the problems. Lot of tension at that tuning. For up tuning, you're better off with something shorter. Those really long scale lengths are intended for guys that are tuning way down. It helps maintain tension, which is working against you for tuning up.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
^yep. an 8 or 9 gauge string would work for F on a Gibson (24.75) or Fender (25.5) scale, but 28.625 is too long for tuning up.

Think of it like having to go an extra full step up. The 28" scale essentially adds two frets' length to the neck, so any string will have the same tension on that scale tuned to a whole step lower than the same string tuned to whatever note on a standard scale. For example, a 9 in F on a standard scale would have to be tuned to Eb on a 28" scale to get the same tension and avoid breaking.

xxRogelioOxx

Reaction score
Well, guess that's gotta be it. I'll try using a lighter string for my Ibanez.

As for the 7 string, I guess I'll compromise for now and drop tune the whole thing to Ab 'perfect' tuning while I look to trade with someone for a shorter scale length guitar.

Thanks everyone. Great website, great community - looking forward to giving back.

cardinal

Reaction score
You could down tune the Agile and throw a capo on the first or second fret to bring you back to standard. Of course, the inlays will be in the wrong spots and it'll eventual run groves into whatever fret you capo at, but it'll work.