Seven again or RGA8?

• Thread starter Sonicboom
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sonicboom

Reaction score
I'm keen to get a seven again. I can get an Apex2, RGA7 or S7320 . . . ooooor I can just go for a RGA8. I'm not keen on a tremolo, but the ZR trem is damn good. The Apex's got the best pickups in the bunch. Their all mahogany:) the RGA7 is the cheapest.

And then there is the RGA8! I've been gassing hard for one and if I use one I can still play everything six and sevenstring music. Aaaaaargh! Which one!

When you buy an eight string do use your sevens that much?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LamaSabachthani

Reaction score
Not that I'm on 'those people' who would castigate you for this, but you'd probably get more replies if you posted this in the Extended Range Guitars section, as those are the guys who play the 8 strings (the general consensus seems to be that they all absolutely love having the low F# and the ability to play an octave below E2 (82.4 hz))

eventhetrees

What's a Panini?
Reaction score
go with what you want. I'd go with the RGA8 personally. Try either Low F or another high string :D for me I probably won't do a high A but some alternate tuning...

Demeyes

Reaction score
If you think you'll use the 8 much then go for it, it's kind of hard to know until you have one if it's for you or not so I'd recommend it. I went with an 8 string and I use it in my band now, but I still get plenty of use from my 7 strings too.

Sonicboom

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. I'll post in the ERG section as well. But if I deceded to get a seven rather than the RGA8, which of the guitars I listed do you think is better quality?

LamaSabachthani

Reaction score
The Apex2, as far as I know, is apparently reputed to be a wonderful seven string, with a mahogany body and decent stock pups (Dimarzio PAF-7's I believe?). Although I have not played one before, if you look around on this thread they seem to receive an overwhelmingly positive review by people who have owned and played them.

The RGA8 again is in an entirely different ballpark, as it is an 8 string, but I have heard some complaints about them - notably in that the neck on the RGA8 is not as good as the one that comes on the RG2228 (I think this is correct - apologies if they're actually equipped with the same neck), and that the stock pups are appalling and basically need to be replaced if you want to hear the low 8th with any sense of clarity, as well as the fact that some people just don't necessarily like the archtop body.

As for the S7320? I've never played one, but have always thought they looked brilliant, have always loved the ZR trem, and would love to get one now that they (have finally) started making them with 24 frets. Again though, it would appear that pup replacement would almost be an inevitability with the S7320.

Hope this helps!