Seven String Pickup Guide

Marked Man

Reaction score
What a cool thread abandoned since 2018!
If life could be explain and choice could be made with figures, everything could be easier. So I tried this dystopia into the following charts during my quest of a pair of 7s for an RG7620 into a Mesa Mark IV.

Here is a personal selection I made considering PU I would be interested in. All apologies for Seymour Duncans, EMGs, Fishmans advocators. Here it is only a Dimarzio selection.

I choose to organise from the lower high put to the higher.

Source : DiMarzio website of course!

Let's start with the bridge pick-ups
View attachment 132511

The comparison chart of the bridge PUs.
View attachment 132512

Let's continue with the quite good neck PU association I am looking for
View attachment 132513

And at last, the comparison chart of the Necks'PUsView attachment 132514

Sorry for PAF addicts or X2N fans, I do not pay attention to these. It's a really personal selection.
For the competition, I removed the Ionizers, Evo7 and Crunchlab.
The Ionizers are frightening me with so much output. I need definition, not too much gain (my amp is made for that).
EVO : I had them in a RG6 and I didn't like them. To much gain, mids, high mids to my ears.
Crunchlab: I didn't appreciate it on a EBMM BFR7. Not clear enough, not a quite clean sound to me and not enough definition on the lowB. Once again: it's personal.

Good luck for your selection. It's always difficult to choose a good pair of PU and boring to install and replace them.

I have the Blaze Custom at the bridge of my UV7 and consider it a major improvement over the Blaze. I found the Evo7 to be the ultimate passive crunch machine I've heard to date (although I must admit I haven't tried a new gen passive 7 pickup lately) but it was not as satisfying for lead work as the B.C. And I dig the original Blaze Neck bigly. I was just playing my UV yesterday through the MkIII clean channel with a Soldano SLO pedal in the home studio, such a vicious sound!! Not sure if the neighbors liked it, but I know they HEARD it. :agreed:

I know Petrucci bases his pickups on playing at blistering stage volume through Marks (where they grow fangs as you know 👹), but I generally don't get into pickups with very low treble response, a rating of 3 does not sound inspiring. The D Activator set is my favorite new 6 string combo in many years (treble rating 6.5) and I bet it would SMOKE in 7 string form. :hbang:

Last edited:

OneTwoThrill

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thank you for your feedback.
You totally right when you mention the volume these PU are made to be played.
I will try the Dreamcatcher & Rainmaker within a month. Can't wait for the postman.

Marked Man

Reaction score
Thank you for your feedback.
You totally right when you mention the volume these PU are made to be played.
I will try the Dreamcatcher & Rainmaker within a month. Can't wait for the postman.

I don't think there is any metal player short of Hetfield/Hammett who has toured the world in big venues more than Petrucci over the last 30+ years. John basically LIVES on stage, so there is no doubt he is going to test all of his products on stage at full tilt. I really need to get a Mesa JP-2C at some point! The dual graphic EQ is the kind of thing I would do (actually I already did with the Quad 😉 ).

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

S4M4R1N

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Any moderate output pickup, passive or active, will do. Adjusting compression/gain/tone with pickup swaps is awesome if you're religious about your "direct to amp" tone or stuck rich or both :D For everybody else, just stick wiith well done pickups from any reputable company and then look for some boost/comp, distortion and EQ pedals. Way more cost effective :)