Seymour Duncan alt.metal Blackouts (rebadged AHB3s?)

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Edika

Reaction score
That was the first thing I thought, Mick Thomson's signature set rebranded now that he left SD. It has the same logo and also mentions alternative metal and thick chugs for lower tuning lol! What quacks like a duck and looks like a duck?

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
I saw the newsletter come through this morning and was intrigued, but wow I didn't even put two and two together... you're probably right in these just being a rehash. Definitely curious to see if we get any more info on these.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Lol the sound sample is the same exact one as the AHB3. So yeah they're pretty much just AHB3 EMTYs.

I'm surprised they didn't keep the name the same like they did for the Screamin Demon.

Legion

Slightly cynical, mostly okay, completely drunk.
Reaction score
Lol the sound sample is the same exact one as the AHB3. So yeah they're pretty much just AHB3 EMTYs.

I'm surprised they didn't keep the name the same like they did for the Screamin Demon.
EMTY is literally EM-TY i.e. MT i.e. Mick Thomson, they can't keep his name lol

What company did Mick go to?

Edit: it's fucking fishman isn't it

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
EMTY is literally EM-TY i.e. MT i.e. Mick Thomson, they can't keep his name lol

What company did Mick go to?

Edit: it's fucking fishman isn't it
The JB is named after Jeff Beck but Duncan claims it means Jazz and Blues which is bullshit lol. It wouldn't have been the first time Duncan came up with some bullshit for an acronym

Also yes he's a Fishman guy now. Which is funny because Fluff is apparently a Duncan guy now after being with Fishman and endorsing that horrid ass sig pickup

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
Reminder that Fluff had a sig pickup called the Beard Comber.
I'm genuinely not trying to be a dick when I say this, but who the hell would buy a Fluff signature Fishman set. Like buying a Tosin set, Polyphia, hell even Killswitch Engage due to them having their own tone, I get to an extent.

But Fluff? I don't get it.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I'm genuinely not trying to be a dick when I say this, but who the hell would buy a Fluff signature Fishman set. Like buying a Tosin set, Polyphia, hell even Killswitch Engage due to them having their own tone, I get to an extent.

Fishman will literally give anyone a sig pickup it sounds like. Not to mention Fluff's pickup sounded like ass. Voice 1 sounded like the Devin bridge but even darker.

Legion

Reaction score

Fairly simple answer: YouTube is the hot new ad platform, companies are trying to get in on it. Really all there is to it.

Jared dines has a sig Sterling EBMM guitar.
Rabea has a sig EBMM.
McRocklin has a Kiesel sig and Fishman sigs.
Agufish has a Harley Benton sig.

Like YT is the hot shit at the moment.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score

Makes sense to me. He reviews amps and what not by recording them on YouTube; if people watch and like what they hear and he consistently uses particular pickups, seems like they might want his pickups. He does seem to have a particular "sound" with every review of his that I've heard. Kinda dark/fuzzy, so I guess from the descriptions here, his signature pickup maybe delivers exactly what you'd expect listening to his demos.

Hoss632

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Fishman will literally give anyone a sig pickup it sounds like. Not to mention Fluff's pickup sounded like ass. Voice 1 sounded like the Devin bridge but even darker.
He did say his voice 1 was a very modified devin townsend sound. Never played it in person, but in demos I always thought it was the 2nd-3rd best sounding fishman bridge pup. Will Adlers voice 1 being number 1, the classic voice 2 hot-rodded tone probably being second just above Fluff's voice 1.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
Fairly simple answer: YouTube is the hot new ad platform, companies are trying to get in on it. Really all there is to it.

Jared dines has a sig Sterling EBMM guitar.
Rabea has a sig EBMM.
McRocklin has a Kiesel sig and Fishman sigs.
Agufish has a Harley Benton sig.

Like YT is the hot shit at the moment.
I guess that's kind of my point. Who the hell is actually watching these guys going... "man I really wish I had this guitar reviewer's tone"

Again, if they were doing something unique, then sure, but as far as actual guitar tone goes, they do literally nothing different from any other guitar player.

Though, I'll give Rabea a pass as I do think he actually has a bit of his own tone and the dude definitely understands tones well enough. Still a bit odd though.

Makes sense to me. He reviews amps and what not by recording them on YouTube; if people watch and like what they hear and he consistently uses particular pickups, seems like they might want his pickups. He does seem to have a particular "sound" with every review of his that I've heard. Kinda dark/fuzzy, so I guess from the descriptions here, his signature pickup maybe delivers exactly what you'd expect listening to his demos.
I get that to an extent, but if you truly want to match that "dark" tone, you for sure as shit don't need to drop $300 on a signature pickup set. There's nothing really signature about it.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
I guess that's kind of my point. Who the hell is actually watching these guys going... "man I really wish I had this guitar reviewer's tone"

Again, if they were doing something unique, then sure, but as far as actual guitar tone goes, they do literally nothing different from any other guitar player.

Though, I'll give Rabea a pass as I do think he actually has a bit of his own tone and the dude definitely understands tones well enough. Still a bit odd though.

I get that to an extent, but if you truly want to match that "dark" tone, you for sure as shit don't need to drop $300 on a signature pickup set. There's nothing really signature about it.
Signature pickups are somewhat odd because at least in my experience, the same pickup (literally the same one) can sound pretty different depending on the guitar. It's kind of annoying but I guess just the nature of the beast.

couverdure

No Gear Day
Reaction score
Weird that people here are complaining about Fluff's "signature" tone and yet not a word about Mick Thomson being any different from the OG Blackouts. I guess it's already agreed that they're an improvement over the AHB-1 which from what I've listened is just an EMG 81 but with more output.

Legion

Reaction score
Not quite, ime. I used the emty blackout in my Jeff Loomis Schecter A LOT and it's much thicker than the 81 I had in there. That guitar has seen an EMG 81, an 85 and the EMTY. The EMTY stayed. Until I sold the guitar to a friend who still has it in there.
Weird that people here are complaining about Fluff's "signature" tone and yet not a word about Mick Thomson being any different from the OG Blackouts. I guess it's already agreed that they're an improvement over the AHB-1 which from what I've listened is just an EMG 81 but with more output.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Fluff pickup sounds fine here :shrug:

@4:20

He's using the passive voicing which is ripped directly off of the Willie Adler bridge pickup. When he switches to the custom-voiced active mode at 8:00 it (IMO) goes to shit.

Latest posts