Seymour Duncan Custom appreciation thread

• Thread starter STRHelvete
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
giphy.gif

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Do Custom 5's count? I had one of those in a single humbucker guitar and really liked the sound, I'd get another one or a pair for another guitar.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Send me one to try and i’ll get back to you :yesway: :wub: (dont think ive ever tried one tbh)

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
For what it's worth, apparently Les Paul fans love the Custom. Google the Custom and it shows up in Les Paul forums and whatnot and gets rave reviews
They also slammed norlins that now cost CS dollars, so I am graining their salt :lol:

(Send)

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
I haven't played the 59, is there much of a difference between that and the regular 5?
What's so special about the hybrid?
59 Custom hybrid doesn't have quite as much low end or the mid notch of the custom 5. It's generally cleaner under high gain and less hairy on the high end. It has way better split tones and is generally more versatile/more balanced than the custom 5 imo

MYGFH

Music your GF hates
Reaction score
I love my Duncan Custom!!! In my 25y/o Epi Dot. Now I hear it that pickup tone on classic rock songs on the radio. It is paired with Pearly Gates in the neck. *chef's kiss

Reaction score
59 Custom hybrid doesn't have quite as much low end or the mid notch of the custom 5. It's generally cleaner under high gain and less hairy on the high end.
So it has none of the qualities that make the Custom good? Eh....

I think it's a great metal pickup and an even greater rock pickup. If you want rock riffs it'll do it with little effort but if you want to play heavy it can handle it as well. For me it's a versatile pickup

BabUShka

Reaction score
I had a SH5 installed in a Schecter ATX 10+ years ago and was blown away from that moment. Never thought it would be so tight and at the same time punchy and powerfull. I played in a band at that time and the SH5 cut straight through the sound. Tried a whole bunch of pickups over the years, but recently I swapped a SH6 to a SH5 in my Eclipse II and never looked back.

My goal is to change to SH5 in several of my guitars over time. It's a pickup that works perfect for me, so I might just stick with this.

The best thing is that many here in my area buy it and dislike like it, so it's possible to find them second hand. They are marketed as "powerful PAF" which is misleading for many PAF-lovers , they should market it as a high gain pickup instead. It's versatile, but IMO there are bunch of other pickups that can do cleans and low gain better, while the SH5 is superior on the high gain.

Captain Shoggoth

Gotoh 1996T shill
Reaction score
The Custom more than any other pickup feels like a passive EMG 81 to me. Same overall output and tonal characteristics, just with a wider total frequency range. Fantastic split cleans too. More of a rock pickup, I prefer higher output for metal. I am curious about the new ESP Custom with extra magnets to beef up the output.

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
So it has none of the qualities that make the Custom good? Eh....

I think it's a great metal pickup and an even greater rock pickup. If you want rock riffs it'll do it with little effort but if you want to play heavy it can handle it as well. For me it's a versatile pickup
It's still a pretty aggressive, high mid centric pickup like the Custom and Custom 5. The low end and high end are just a bit more refined and
it doesn't slam the front of the amp as hard. :shrug:

Here's an old clip I made of the 59 custom showing how aggressive it can get: