Seymour Duncan Distortion 7 and Seymour Duncan '59 7 String

• Thread starter lost_horizon
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lost_horizon

Reaction score
Tried to try these in my RG7420. These pickups are massively tall about 23mm. So you need at least 25-26mm of clearance.

On the Distortion the legs are too long and on the '59 the screws are too long.

The '59 actually touched the High E string which created some issues recording as I couldn't fret a note on the high E string past the 3rd fret.
ib.JPG

I love the 6 string versions of the '59 and Custom SH-5 so was expecting to love these. The '59 was great, really warm and paf like, I've always maintained the '59 neck pickup has the string separation and sounds great distorted to be a great rhythm pickup.

The Duncan Distortion was a suprise, I like really aggressive ceramic pickups like the BK Aftermath and the feel and punch of this reminded me of that but in a 7 string form. If I had my eyes closed I would say it is an EMG-81.

At the end of my video I just hooked up a small tube combo, then tried to show the difference in volume with a clean amp. The '59 was smooth and clear even with an OD in the front. Then switching to the Bridge the DIstortion turned into a fuzzy rock sound great for roots and country!!

AndiKravljaca

Reaction score
I love the tone of a Distortion seven string pickup for rhythm. It's like having a bass cut and a preamp on your guitar. It's a little tinny for me, for leads, I find I prefer other guitars for that, with a slightly meatier, mid-forward sound, but for recording rhythm it's hard to beat it. The only thing that comes close is the D-Activator on one of my other guitars.