Sharing my first finished song! - Playful Instrumental Prog Rock

• Thread starter Contra
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Contra

Reaction score
Hey guys! :wavey:
I've been on the forum for a few years now, keeping pretty quiet. (I'm the guy you'll never ever need to say "lurk moar" too.) Anyway, I've lately been trying to make some moves with getting my music out into the world and making some new friends with it, so I figured that sharing here only made sense. Truth is, I have a lot of anxiety with that kind of stuff, but that's a story for later.

https://thatrabbit.bandcamp.com/track/sinking-into

Here is the first song I've ever successfully finished and published online, titled "Sinking Into" and launched under the artist name That Rabbit! It's energetic yet non-aggressive progressive rock, featuring some silly odd time sections.

All guitar amps, drum sounds, and other instruments were processed and produced with free plugins, running on a stressfully underwhelming laptop, which made for quite the adventurous studio experience. (2.20 ghz dual-core pentium ftw)

I absolutely am aware of the song's flaws, but I'm at the point where the time spent addressing imperfections is much better spent elsewhere (though I am always working to improve). Actually getting a product out trumps fiddling around forever when you're already 90% of the way "there."
That said, the end result actually pleases me, all things considered. I partially owe it to all the lurking I've done here; this place is a great resource!

I'm really excited to move forward with this. I'm really starting to appreciate all the work that goes into creating a final product from absolutely nothing. This song took me a while to complete, but I now have a better idea of how to get a streamlined process that works with my workflow so that I can put more music out more quickly. The first step is one of the hardest, and I'm glad to finally get my legs moving!

...That was kind of a lot about me, but oh well. :lol:

Thank you to those who read through that all or even just skimmed and gave a listen!
Encouragement and feedback on the song is welcomed. Let me know if you think it's cool or if it sucks.
If anyone is working on something kind of similar, hit me up!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Contra

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words! :D

The world needs more smiles on more faces!

Halo, it's actually really good feedback to hear that you think there's room for vocals in what I would already consider a fairly densely arranged song.
I would really look forward to working with vocals in the future!

Stinkidog

Reaction score
Well done man, I like this! Really gives out a feel good vibe. Are you simply using a major scale for this?
Keep up the good work :metal:

Contra

Reaction score
Are you simply using a major scale for this?

Yep, pretty sure it's all pretty much just your basic major scale. However, there may be a few sections that don't stay completely obeying major and it definitely changes to a different key for a couple of riffs.

I'm not exactly a theory wizard or anything, but I try my best to get a good understanding of what's going on. :D

If you want to see how it's played, I'm going to be working on putting together some play through videos. Look out for those. ;)
Plus, work on getting the next few songs recorded is also underway!

Tirmu

Reaction score
Love the music! The mix is what lacks the most but I still enjoyed listening to this. Definitely the best stuff I've heard here!

Contra

Reaction score
You guys are making me feel really good about myself! :wub:
I've spent way too much time being nervous about sharing and figuring that nobody would care.

The mix is what lacks the most but I still enjoyed listening to this.!

I'm glad you could still enjoy the actual song for what it is! My main goal was for people not to write it off as trash after hearing just a few seconds of it.

My recording interface is literally a Boss OD-2 pedal powering my instrument signals into the mic input on a laptop. :lol:
Ends up not being the best DI signal. Tiny bit of clarity loss.

On top of that, my computer has a hard time running more than one amp sim at a time (big fan of LePou), so finding complementary tones can be a struggle.

Finally, that was my first shot at tracking with a real bass guitar. Started playing about 5 months ago. Just now, I'm starting to figure out how to get decent tones out of it.

At least I doubt my mixes will get any worse when I can begin to upgrade to real, usable gear.
Meanwhile, I've got experience to gain and nothing to lose! :D

kevinxbrooks

General Facesmashery
Reaction score
Great first shot dude!!!! sounds miles beyond my first recordings haha. Stick with it dude, passion makes up for knowledge

Contra

Reaction score
Great first shot dude!!!! sounds miles beyond my first recordings haha. Stick with it dude, passion makes up for knowledge

Thank you!

I have been playing around for a few years with recording, so it isn't exactly my "first" recording, but rather it is the first time I've really overcome myself and pushed to be able to call something adequately finished.

Nobody really talks about the mental/emotional aspects of how hard creating and sharing your intimate art can be.

Reaction score
this is super awesome, man! really digging how upbeat it is. digging the mix as well.

well done! the chord progressions are really happy, too :)

Contra

Reaction score
Thanks again for the encouragement, everyone!

I put together a guitar playthrough video for this song. Check it out!

I didn't really have any experience with video or being in front of a camera before this, so we'll add that to the list of my new endeavors! :lol:

It's lots of fun and really satisfying. I'm planning on doing more of this in the future.