Shimming my nuts

• Thread starter nightsprinter
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nightsprinter

resident pat metheny fanatic
Reaction score
The nut slot on one of my warmoth strat necks is super deep to the point that the strings will buzz off the first fret with a pre-slotted black tusq nut that I haven't even taken a file to yet. I guess I have to shim the slot. I had a bone nut on it, but I prefer using the black tusq overall. What are some recommendations for shimmimg the slot- is there a particular hardwood veneer one would recommend, or is the old business card/sandpaper routine still in vogue?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ArtDecade

Barking Pumpkin
Reaction score
Can you do a refill with superglue and baking soda?

nightsprinter

Reaction score
Well it's one of those things where the pre-slotted nature of the tusq nut wasn't deep enough to have the string rest at relative spec anyway. They always cut those things down just a hair. I typically have to deepen/angle the slots for proper seating. So in this case with this particular pre-slotted tusq nut, I don't think that will work and I think shimmimg the shelf makes sense. I know slot typically relates to the slots on the nut itself but since a strat "shelf" is recessed, I call it the "slot" for the nut.

nightsprinter

Reaction score
Two minutes ago I would've bet my entire life savings that a post from @ArtDecade on a thread titled "shimming my nuts" would not have been serious advice. Life truly is a wonder.
I thought about going a little harder on the thread title but this more conservative title really edged it out.

nightsprinter

Reaction score
Alright alright I gotta reel my own nonsense in here - I'm thinking of using a thin hardwood maple veneer cut to size with an xacto knife to raise the nut shelf enough that a stock black tusq will fit with first fret clearance room to spare. I'll take some pictures of the current situation tomorrow and go from there.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
If you have a hardwood veneer conveniently available I'd go with that. I reckon anything sufficiently dense will do, though. Last time I shimmed a nut I used some dense plastic I cut from some random crap I had around the house, don't even remember what it was. I didn't have any comparison but I don't reckon it affected the guitar's tone all that much.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Anything solid will work. I usually use scraps from either other nut blanks, pickguards, or wood.

I tend to stay away from stuff like paper which will eventually disintegrate depending on use and conditions.