Shoot Me Some Prayers For My Sick Doggie

• Thread starter IbanezDaemon
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

IbanezDaemon

Raptus regaliter
Reaction score
Really sorry for your loss. Sounds like he knew he was loved and had a great life.

We're the same way, if we can't take our dogs we don't go.
Absolutely man. Treated like a King and I really hope he knew that. Really sorry for to hear about the loss of your dog. Gotta have been treated so well to make 17 and that's a credit to you!

IbanezDaemon

Raptus regaliter
Reaction score
I took this pic about 3 weeks ago. Bought them a new bed. Pictured here with his bro. At this time I had no idea how things would turn out....super happy wee dog who showed no signs of illness. Cherish every second you can with your pets guys because this is how quickly things can go badly wrong:

IMG20230513112820.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Absolutely man. Treated like a King and I really hope he knew that. Really sorry for to hear about the loss of your dog. Gotta have been treated so well to make 17 and that's a credit to you!

Thanks man, Izzy was a princess and queen of the house. The last couple months were rough as she had developed some mobility issues but she was happy and herself until the last morning. It's always brutal losing them, but it's worth the good times.

IbanezDaemon

Raptus regaliter
Reaction score
Thanks man, Izzy was a princess and queen of the house. The last couple months were rough as she had developed some mobility issues but she was happy and herself until the last morning. It's always brutal losing them, but it's worth the good times.
Ah man. So sorry to hear that. Very sad at the end for sure but you are absolutely correct....the good times outweigh the bad and I just gotta get through the next few weeks and look back and realise I did everything for my pup for 14 years and he knew that.

Riffer

No Title
Reaction score
@IbanezDaemon , so sorry man 😥 A similar thing happened to my fiancé and me with our 13 year old cat Spooky in February. It was extremely sudden. We woke up in the morning to go to work, everything is fine. He was in the bed with us and snoring away like he always did. We both go to work and as I'm driving home I get a phone call from my fiancé and she's crying saying that when she got home Spooky couldn't stand on his back legs and was howling loudly. She was at the vet hospital with him and they are running tests. I drove right there and after waiting and hour they said he had cancer which is now affecting his nervous system and that we should euthanize him. We were both in pieces. Completely shattered. We went from having our lovely cat in our arms to leaving an animal hospital with nothing in a matter of 2 hours. It hurt/hurts so bad. We are slowly dealing with the loss but it comes and goes. I found the words below helped us grieve with the sudden departure of Spooky. I think it can also apply to dogs. Maybe they can help you grieve as well.

"When we decide to share our lives with a cat, we are making a decision to break our own hearts. That's not melodrama. At some point, that bundle of fur will get under your skin. It doesn't matter how big and tough you are. I've seen British Army Special Forces soldiers cradling their beloved cats with tears in their eyes, hoping against hope that something will put off that fateful moment when they must part. I've seen busy mothers of five children who rule their household with an iron fist reduced to bawling children because they miss their cat. At some point, that cat will work its magic. Its eyes will connect with yours. Its head will rub against yours. Its heart will connect with yours. At that point, you secretly swear your devotion to the animal. It comes under your protection, and you will sacrifice anything to keep it safe. In return, the cat will share that look with you. The one that says "I love you too". That's a special gift, and unless you have been loved by a cat, it is a meaningless one. But if you HAVE been loved by a cat, then you know the value of that gift. It means that the cat will give you a lifetime of love. They will literally spend their entire life in your company. You will feed them, protect them, keep them warm and safe. And they will give you their entire life.

Their entire life. That's their commitment. And what is yours? Easy, you commit to the knowledge that at some point in the future you will be given a terrible decision to make. That decision will be the last you make for your cat. That decision will result in a transference of pain and suffering. You will take away all the pain and suffering of your cat, and you will begin a process of pain and suffering yourself. That's the price for the look. When they look in your eyes with love, that terrible decision is the price. It's a moment that all cat owners dread, but a moment that comes to us all.

So should we feel bad when our cat passes on? Of course we should. We are losing someone we loved, and someone that loved us. The grief will be terrible, but it will be transient. It WILL pass. You will then be left with memories. Some of these memories will bring you tears. Some of these memories will make you laugh. But the pain and the suffering will fade.

So when the moment comes, you have to find a strength within yourself. You're about to do something incredible. You're about to give a display of love and devotion rarely equalled. You will be given a decision about whether to allow your pet to suffer and thus save your own pain, or whether to remove all pain and suffering from the cat, and take it on yourself. If the time is right, you will know, and you will make the right decision. And then you should be so proud of yourself. In the midst of your own grief, and suffering, you should take such strength from the knowledge that when the moment came, you decided to choose your cat's welfare in favour of your own. What greater love can any pet owner display?

So for those that think they have to make that decision soon, take strength. Know that your moment has come. The moment where you wrap up all the love and devotion you have for your cat into one incredible moment and do what's right. For those on the other side of that decision, then well done. I'm proud of you, and your cat would be proud of you, too. Your cat is forever pain-free. You are in pain, but I promise it will pass. Don't worry, some of us know how bad that pain is. You are not alone, and we know how much it hurts. It's terrible, but it will pass. Then you will have the memories, which you should treasure."

IbanezDaemon

Raptus regaliter
Reaction score
@Riffer Thanks so much for that...I really appreciate it. I'll def reply in earnest to you in the next day or so...trying to keep my head above water and haven't been online that much. Brilliant post.....a lot of that rings very true.

IbanezDaemon

Raptus regaliter
Reaction score
@Riffer I am terribly sorry to hear about the loss of Spooky. That is indeed a very similar situation to mine although your's was very sudden indeed. I feel your pain for sure and sincerely hope your Fiance and You can come to terms with such a sad loss in time. The post you shared has helped me a lot and I thank you for that. Pretty much the hardest thing I have ever done even though it was the right thing to do.

We got Charlie after our last Bichon passed (suddenly at 12 years of age) on 30th December 2008. I buried him in our garden on New Year's Eve. Never forget it as the ground was frozen...making it even more difficult for me. We were pretty much the same as you guys...totally devastated...hated going into the house as the dog was always there to greet us so we tried just to drive aimlessly around. Hadn't planned to get another dog but Mrs.Daemon came home with an advert for Bichon Frise puppies on January 15th. I wasn't sure as you think you are doing your recently deceased pet a disservice or not grieving properly for them but trust me it was the best thing we could have done. Our new puppy kept us busy beyond belief and took our minds of the recent bereavement more than we could have hoped...a little hero in our eyes.

Riffer

No Title
Reaction score
@IbanezDaemon thanks for the condolences for Spooky. We still have 2 other cats that have helped us through the pain. If we didn't have them it would be a lot harder. They still need love and affection so we just poured our emotions into them. They also lost a brother and I'm sure it was a shock to them to not have him around and not know why.

BMFan30

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey man, I'm very sorry to learn about your dog. I had to put down my dog due to illness last year and another one this year for infection, so I know how downright shitty this feels but I've sworn off dogs for this reason as a result.

I can't go through that shit again, dogs get so attached & follow you everywhere, impossible to not become attached to dogs. So, now I keep cats 'cause they don't give 3 shits about anything except for small brown rocks from the supermarket filling up their bowls.